Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats your all time favorite carbon 240mm gyuto?!

Singatirin 240 honyaki.

Shig 240...
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Shig 240...
    that's #2.

Shigefusa kitaji with Marko's handle & saya.....good thing you asked for favorite "carbon" 240mm gyuto!! if you're asking the favorite 240mm Gyuto, I'll have hard time to choose one!!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

wheres the best place to aquire this knife if buying because i had a hard time looking around for shigefusa knives . or would best bets be second hand? not neccaseraly wanting to buy this knife but just curious

Quote Originally Posted by jai View Post
    wheres the best place to aquire this knife if buying because i had a hard time looking around for shigefusa knives . or would best bets be second hand? not neccaseraly wanting to buy this knife but just curious
    Maxim...or Rakuten...or b/s/t.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Devin Thomas "mystery" carbon san mai gyuto. Actually 250mm on cutting edge, but is as nimble as a 210. Sharp edge, great retention, been using it hard for over a year and nothing I have handled or owned has come close to replacing it.

Dave Martell 240mm in 01. There are other knives that I've owned that are "better" in one way or another or that feel fancier or more "special" but if I had to pick just one knife to go out and make a living with day in and day out, it would be the Martell. Simply put it's the most "gyutoy" gyuto I've ever used. A gyuto should be THE multi-purpose knife, meaning that it should be capable of doing many things well and it's only "specialization" should be a lack there of. Now, most of us spoiled knuts have the luxury of owning multiple gyutos so we actually start to select more specialized qualities in each knife like: "this is my tank, this is my laser, this is my nimble knife, this is my beater, this one is best on hard veg, this one is best as a raw protein slicer, this is for push-cuts, this is for rock-chop, this one works best on days starting with "T", etc, etc."

However, what the Martell gyuto reminded me of is that you really only NEED one knife. One knife CAN actually do everything and do it all well enough that having other gyutos become a matter of want and not need.
    - Profile is as near to perfect as I think is possible: there's literally no section of the edge that doesn't make useful board contact.
    - Grind is very complex and very well thought out, but to over-simplify it: It's thick where it needs to be thick and thin where it needs to be thin.
    - Handle is fantastic and the handle, profile, blade shape are all well integrated into an over-all ergonomic design that is very, very comfortable and is also very flexible / comfortable throughout the range of grips and cutting motions.
    - Steel and HT are everything that carbon should be: Hard without feeling "glassy", very tough, but a pleasure to sharpen, crazy high "why would you ever need it that sharp!?!" sharpness potential, but will good inherent "toothyness", very good edge retention (especially the first 100%-90% sharpness), takes a beautiful patina, but is not at all highly reactive or stinky.

At $500 its one of the best bargains (if not the best) in the mid-tech / semi-custom market.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Very well stated Justin. There are knives I prefer to the Martell but not across the full spectrum of tasks an all arounder encounters. It is always in the top three for any individual task as well. If I were walking into a stage somewhere with no knowledge of what I would be doing all day the Martell would be a no brainer one knife solution.