Whats your all time favorite carbon 240mm gyuto?!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jai

Reaction score
hey guys im just really interested in peoples opinions on a carbon 240 gyuto as im think off investing around $500-$1000 into one nice knife soon. please explain why in detail e.g. profile, weight, feel, handle, steel ,edge retention ,maker, heat treat ,tallnes and more

thanks guys
jai

Please explain in detail what characteristics you are looking for.

Western or Wa-handled?

Are you looking for it to "fall through" food, or have good release of what you've cut?

Do you want a tall blade at the heel?

Monosteel, san mai, stainless clad?

If you have difficulties expressing your preferences, I politely suggest that you have no business buying a high-end knife until you do. If that's the case, buy a couple of very different knives, use them for a while and get to know what you like and dislike about them. You'll be in a much better position to spend that kind of cash on your high-end knife. To name two to start with, the Masamoto KS wa-gyuto and the Misono Swedish gyuto.

Rick

im asking what your favorite carbon 240 gyuto is not for help buying my own or advice i just want to see what others like and enjoy to use.I currently own a tanaka 240 r2 ironwood gyuto and a kono hd i also own various other knives in blue,white and AS steels i have used all these knives in a professional enviroment for hundreds of hours of prep and line use. sorry if the way i worded my thread was misinforming

jai

sorry if that sounded rude was just trying to put the point foward that all i want is for people to tell me there favorite knife and why in detail.

Masamoto ks or shigefusa more towards shigefusa though

In terms known brands excluding custom makers

Mine is soon to be the Dave Martell re-handled misono... As soon as my mail lady drops it off =)

Kitaeji Shig with Marko Octagon Handle - I will update if Marko and Mario's are more better after I get them but for now the Shig is just pure pleasure to cut with and as a homey (cook), I just don't need to do more than touch it up to keep it and me happy.

Shig with Marko octa-handle, ks refinished and reground and d-handled by Marko. Sometimes I use a 270 doi yani as a 240 gyuto but I fear the knife police. 240 kiritsuke suisin. Right, just one....right now, the shig.

Kono 270 white #2 honyaki.

same...well on everything but the last word.

Aaron, I haven't looked into kitchen realm in quite some time...is the Kono honyaki modeled more after the Fujiyama line, or the regular laser line?

caddy, if you look under new arrivals at the konosuke US venders website, you can check it out. looks like the laser profile but with a thicker spine.

But yup Labor is right. Basically take the best parts of the Fujiyama and the best of the laser and mix and you have a hell of a knife. I did a little video of it (review, in work action, and a pass over for looks) let me know if you want me to link them .

Not a fan of carbon anymore.....I would have to say my Kramer was my fav.

Shigefusa kitaji with Marko's handle & saya.....good thing you asked for favorite "carbon" 240mm gyuto!! if you're asking the favorite 240mm Gyuto, I'll have hard time to choose one!!

wheres the best place to aquire this knife if buying because i had a hard time looking around for shigefusa knives . or would best bets be second hand? not neccaseraly wanting to buy this knife but just curious

wheres the best place to aquire this knife if buying because i had a hard time looking around for shigefusa knives . or would best bets be second hand? not neccaseraly wanting to buy this knife but just curious

Maxim...or Rakuten...or b/s/t.

Devin Thomas "mystery" carbon san mai gyuto. Actually 250mm on cutting edge, but is as nimble as a 210. Sharp edge, great retention, been using it hard for over a year and nothing I have handled or owned has come close to replacing it.

Dave Martell 240mm in 01. There are other knives that I've owned that are "better" in one way or another or that feel fancier or more "special" but if I had to pick just one knife to go out and make a living with day in and day out, it would be the Martell. Simply put it's the most "gyutoy" gyuto I've ever used. A gyuto should be THE multi-purpose knife, meaning that it should be capable of doing many things well and it's only "specialization" should be a lack there of. Now, most of us spoiled knuts have the luxury of owning multiple gyutos so we actually start to select more specialized qualities in each knife like: "this is my tank, this is my laser, this is my nimble knife, this is my beater, this one is best on hard veg, this one is best as a raw protein slicer, this is for push-cuts, this is for rock-chop, this one works best on days starting with "T", etc, etc."

However, what the Martell gyuto reminded me of is that you really only NEED one knife. One knife CAN actually do everything and do it all well enough that having other gyutos become a matter of want and not need.
- Profile is as near to perfect as I think is possible: there's literally no section of the edge that doesn't make useful board contact.
- Grind is very complex and very well thought out, but to over-simplify it: It's thick where it needs to be thick and thin where it needs to be thin.
- Handle is fantastic and the handle, profile, blade shape are all well integrated into an over-all ergonomic design that is very, very comfortable and is also very flexible / comfortable throughout the range of grips and cutting motions.
- Steel and HT are everything that carbon should be: Hard without feeling "glassy", very tough, but a pleasure to sharpen, crazy high "why would you ever need it that sharp!?!" sharpness potential, but will good inherent "toothyness", very good edge retention (especially the first 100%-90% sharpness), takes a beautiful patina, but is not at all highly reactive or stinky.

At $500 its one of the best bargains (if not the best) in the mid-tech / semi-custom market.

Very well stated Justin. There are knives I prefer to the Martell but not across the full spectrum of tasks an all arounder encounters. It is always in the top three for any individual task as well. If I were walking into a stage somewhere with no knowledge of what I would be doing all day the Martell would be a no brainer one knife solution.

Latest posts

Back