How old is my knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulselfe

Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been asked before, I'm new to the site and still learning my way around. I picked up a henckels 108-12" chef knife with Grand prize Paris 1900 and St Louis 1904. Just wondering if any one might know when they were made, when they stopped making this model, or how to date the knife. I am unable to get any info on the web, any time I put in Henckel I am inundated with shopping sites but no usable info.
Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul, welcome to KKF. Do you have picturse that you could post showing the entire knife and maybe also a close up of the mark?

As soon as I figure out how to pst a picture I will get on.
Thnx
Paul

This is what I came up with, as you can tell I am not very computer savvy. Currently in the process of putting a new handle on. The original was oil/grease soaked and very nasty. It was Ebony with three same size copper rivets, the Henckels symbol was faintly visible on the handle.

After a little Googling, I found that there were International Exhibitions/World's Fairs in Paris in 1900 and St. Louis in 1904. Henckels won a grand prize at both and then used that mark on their knives from 1904 until at least WWI.

Looking around, most of the knives with that stamp also had a model# (I think I see one in your bottom picture), but not all. Most have 3 silver rivets, some small some large, and I saw one with a single rivet. I haven't found any with copper rivets. The original handle/rivets might have helped someone out there narrow the date down a bit more. Given what you have, I'd say that it's about 100 years old, give or take a decade at most.

Thanks. There is a model # 108-12". I have seen the version with a small pin on each end and a larger one in the center. This knife had three, all the same size, I assumed they were a copper alloy only because they had some green patina around them. I'm not sure if silver or nickel silver do that. Just got the first coat of oil on the new handle. Brazilian Ipe, I think? I forget whats, what sometimes. Thanks again.

Back