Quantcast
DMT Diamond Plates and Rods Coming Soon - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DMT Diamond Plates and Rods Coming Soon

Thank you very much for the information, I appreciate it.
    I look forward to trying this out.

I am ready to put together a pre-buy for DMT plates. I mentioned before that DMT offers 3 sizes - 8x3, 10x3, and 11.5x2.5. 8K plate comes only in 8x3 size.

My favorite size has been 11.5x2.5 for a couple of reasons. First, you only sharpen under your fingers, and I use only two fingers, so 2.5" width is plenty wide for me. Second, on a longer plate you require fewer strokes, hence fewer chances to mess up the angle. Currently, 11.5x2.5 plate goes up to only 1200, but I inquired about a custom order for 8K for this size. Will see what DMT will say.

8x3" will fit most bases. I haven't tried 10x3 stone, but this seems to be a pretty good size.

I am not sure if I should offer any grits below fine (600grit), unless requested.
    Also, a DMT extra-extra coarse flattening plates 10x4 or 8x3 can be ordered upon request. Custom base or silicone feet are the options for the plates.

Felt strops with magnetic backing will be available in all 3 sizes. I don't see a clear advantage using leather over felt (but again, I am thinking about my steels here), so I won't be offering any leather strop at this time.

Diamond sprays can be purchased here:
    http://store.advancedabrasives.com/

In addition, I will offer camellia oil. I am going to buy it in bulk and package it myself. It will be available in 4oz or 8oz amber colored spray bottles, here.

I think these along with accessories and knives will complete the list of products I would like to offer at this time.

Thanks,

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Marko,

Are you gauging interest in a pre-buy here? If so, count me in if you can get an 8k plate in 11.5/2.5.

I don't have to buy minimum quantities from DMT, so once the pre-buy items are activated in the store, whatever is purchased, I will order from DMT.

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

Just to give you some heads-up, DMT prebuy will start tonight and end on Monday night. I will place an order with DMT on Tuesday. I should receive the items ordered within 10 days. By than I will have the custom strops made (if anybody is interested) and Camellia oil and cutting board conditioner bottled and jarred. The conditioner will be a mixture of natural waxes and mineral oil, will have a Vaseline consistency and a very nice natural scent. There will be a free domestic shipping with $100 order. Under $100, there will be a flat rate, $10 shipping. Those plates are pretty heavy.

I will post another update when prebuy items are up in the store.

Thanks,
    Marko

-Niels Bohr

What is the timeline for the custom base, and did you request that custom size for the 8k?

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    What is the timeline for the custom base, and did you request that custom size for the 8k?

k.
    The timeline is about 10 days, while the order is fullfilled by DMT and shipped to me.

I haven't heard back from DMT yet, but looking through their web site, I have noticed that they take custom requests, which is encouraging sign.

M

-Niels Bohr

Marko,

What's the difference between the "diamond whetstone" and the "dia-sharp"? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas View Post
    Marko,

What's the difference between the "diamond whetstone" and the "dia-sharp"? Thanks!
    Diamond whetstone typically has diamond particals mixed with the clay (or whatever medium they use) and so by flattening the stone you get to another layer of diamonds.

Dia-sharp has diamond bonded to the surface of the metal plate.

M

-Niels Bohr

+ Reply to Thread