Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Catcheside Cutlery - Off the Shelf Knives.

Catcheside Cutlery - Off the Shelf Knives.

I would like the develop the off the shelf knife thing a little to try to always have more everyday/utility aimed knives available in my store.
    Several reasons for this really. I would like to show more of my different price ranges in available stock. So as well as have the one off high end stuff, have more everyday/hard use knives.
    The main area i fall down in producing something a bit more in bulk, is handles. In reality I can't see me turning out a couple of extra mono or san mai blades on top of custom work per week unless i have something pre-sorted for handles.
    I don't like any of the bought in ones I have tried.......So I'm having a bit of an experiment in making simple handles in larger batches so I have some pre-made, or just the final shaping to do in stock.
    This is also reliant on finding suitable and inexpensive wood in bigger chunks. This batch is Bubinga, which is very stable and easy to finish and maintain. like cocobolo and a few others it does not require stabilizing. And black wood ferrules, again, perfectly stable in its natural form.

So the blades will be my heat treatment, fully ground hand finished blades in mono stainless, and carbon. I will also do some san mai with the "house" handle. Only difference is the handles will be a bit more basic, so I will be able to make a time saving on handles and reduce the price. As a rough idea it will knock about £40 off the price of a 240mm gyuto having a "house" handle.

These will be a burned in tight fit rather than fettled, and just sealed with a bit of epoxy around the front of the tang, so more practical for future maintenance as a workhorse knife if the handle ever required replacing.

So some pictures

Natural Bubinga, simple but very suitable.

The first few blades (nearly finished )to get the "house" handle. Stainless 14c28n, 270mm Gyuto a 240mm and a 180mm Petty.

Coming up over the next couple of weeks, a 14c28n, Nakiri with hollow ground faces, and the same selection in mono carbon steel. These all to add to my store. As always I will send out a shout out to my mailing list and in my work available thread as they get added.

So this is a bit of an experiment for now, to see if the batch made handles help me on time enough to keep some simpler stock in hand as well as make headway on customs and one off damascus pieces.

I know I have not been terribly vocal recently, as i've had my head firmly against the grind stone but as always your feedback and input is very much appreciated. So let me know if you think the pre-made handles is a good idea for those who want practical over sheer bling.

They look great Will. I'm glad to see some of the custom makers offer more everyday use knives instead of just high end. Nothing wrong with premade handles and those are very nice. Carter uses poplar for some of his and like he says - you buy the blade and get the handle for free.

Thanks Mike, much appreciated, the bubinga is pretty dense, so combined with the blackwood i'm hoping the handles should balance the blades near enough and have a quality feel. I'll do 3 sizes to suit different knives.

what kind of barrel is that from Will? Whiskey? if so, I can only imagine those handles will be amazingly fragrent

Looks like your website isn't working at the moment.

They look great, and the handle looks nice. I'll be so on one of these when they are available.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

So someone who's anxious to own one of you great knives can get a superb mono steel blade with a fine non stabilized handle somewhat quickly and economically freeing themselves to plan a future damascus custom with you. Works for me Will. Looking forward to seeing the Nakiri

Hi all, many thanks, not a barrel, lol, the stock was in the form of a large round bowl blank.
    Yes it looks like the website is down, I have moved my domain from ipage to my 121 account and it looks like I may have to redirect something.....

I, too, am looking forward to seeing the Nakiri.

A 270 Gyuto with house handle would be sweet.