Quantcast
Catcheside Cutlery - Off the Shelf Knives. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Catcheside Cutlery - Off the Shelf Knives.

I finished these first 3 in stainless today, I'll get some pics in the morning, i'm pooped. I will say i'm pretty pleased with the natural bubinga, it is dense and heavy so the knives balance, it buff finishes well and does not require any further treatment, it holds its finish well and does not dull or stain if it gets wet. Just need to find a regular source now as I have a feeling I was lucky with that lot at the price I paid.
    I did some sums on time saving, whilst i'm not sure it saved as much time as I wanted, it will only get quicker. A few different cheap grinders set up differently will help down the road.
    To keep this line utility aimed, I have decided to relax the final finish ever so slightly. The finish is still very good I would say, but they will be a step down from a custom.
    So, the heat treat and grinding process are the same as mono custom. Including hand finishing the bevel on the stones before hand rubbing, these steps are important to performance.
    The spine and choil will be rounded, but not as high grit finish, for example the spines will be finished off the belt to 200 grit, the choil will have a nice smooth carbide tool finish but not fully hand rubbed.
    And the faces hand rubbed to 320 grit rather than to 600. 320 grit looks really nice when its done evenly. So some further small savings on time and abrasives to allow the price to be a bit keener and production a little slicker.
    Im not that keen on putting actual prices in threads as the are then stuck in time and can be confusing or annoying later on.
    But for comparison at my current pricing in stainless a custom runs at £12.27 per cm, that plus shipping, paypal fee and the cost of your handle block.
    At the moment I will run these with "house" handles stainless mono at £10 per cm plus shipping and pay pal fee. Though I'll review it after I've got a system down a bit more. The Nakiri's will be a bit different as the grind and bevel finish is more involved and time consuming. Though I may do these with as nice and even as possible belt finish in the hollows and the bevel taken to a mirror finish on the stones, would be nice contrast, would not effect performance and could save plenty of awkward hand finishing in the hollows. I'll do one and see what you think.
    I will price everything off an exact measurement off the blade, so the 240mm one is 245mm, the 270mm is 265mm.
    Anyway, these will be in store tomorrow and i'll try and get some good pics etc.

I think your decision to go with Bubinga and Blackwood is going to work out real good.
    I like Bubinga best with a Danish oil finish. The wood tends to have a nice luster and develops a pleasing patina over time.
    Really tough stuff as well. I really like that 1st quarter sawn piece with the flecks.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@burlsales.com
    Visit our web store

Thanks Mark, great to know some long term reports on the wood. I think I sawed that piece like that by happy accident

Here are the pictures

I'm going to go clean my pants now....those are gorgeous

Hootchie Momma - those are gorgeous Will.

Lol, many thanks guys.

The knives look great.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@burlsales.com
    Visit our web store

Thank you my dear, I found some danish oil for the handles, that was a top tip.

A couple more finished. A 210mm Special grind Nakiri and another 240mm Guyto. I just made a video with the New Catcheside Cam... so I will see how that looks if technology will play along.
    These will be on my site tomorrow.
    Sneaky teaser.
    Photobucket is broken so I'll try a direct upload.
    Attachment 14088Attachment 14089

I think I'll do a forum special on these and throw in shipping and payment fees until the weekend.

So the 240mm Gyuto is £240 all in
    Nakiri is £280 all in
    The 270 mm on my site is £270 all in

Pm me for this deal. Prices will be with shipping and payment fees on my site.

+ Reply to Thread