Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To far out there?

To far out there?

Hi guys, was browsing, and came across this site. How do you feel as far as "futuristic" or modern shapes? As a maker, I wonder if exploring would be fruitful? Or are some of the new designs too much to fast? A grasp at a market maybe. I am curious to your opinions.

http://www.scorpiodesign.de/kitchen-mistress?lang=en

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

The downward handles are a little odd to me, would give very little knuckle clearance but at the same time sometimes thinking outside the box gives good results or can at least inspire something better

When I saw those knives I immediately thought of this knife from Ikea. Someone in work has a few of these and I gotta be honest, the handle is incredibly comfortable and nice to use. I was pretty shocked the first time I picked one up

Don't like. But, I'm a traditionalist.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Those look cool, but not sure about performance. If anybody could make it work it'd be you Pierre. I say go for it. Throw some sketches at us.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Don't like any of them.

Even if you don't go this direction ever, naming a knife "Black Kitchen Mistress" has a nice sort of racist ring to it

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

My guess is that the knives you linked to may not fly too much here but this is not the only kitchen knife market. The potential kitchen knife market is enormous. If you could identify who may like more stylized knives and still make it very functional, I think it is doable.

For you as a maker, I say go for it. You have a solid understanding of what KKF values and what works in a kitchen knife. Push your creativity and it really could interesting. Don't know until you try.

On a related note, I do know individuals who buy knives simply based on look. Knife set that matches their art deco kitchen? Awesome! There's a lot of home cooks out there who don't demand the same cutting/sharpening/stiction/feel/etc that dominates all our discussions. Get your knife featured in an art magazine or perhaps a wine magazine? I'm sure your clientele will have different demands.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Even if you don't go this direction ever, naming a knife "Black Kitchen Mistress" has a nice sort of racist ring to it

k.
    +1.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Not my cup of tea.

-AJ