Zwilling Kramers available for pre-order on SLT

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered the 10" chef's knife. They're supposed to ship on May 24th. I currently have a real Kramer 9" carbon chef's and 5 Shun Kramers. Love 'em. Can't wait to see the Henckel Kramer.

I wish they would list details. But of course most people don't care.

Looks nice, looks like I need to come up with 350 extra dollars so i can buy one.

I will see if I can get my hands on one for some measurements.

Love the warning at the bottom of their write-up:

"CALIFORNIA PROP 65 WARNING: This product may contain a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm."
-M

I'm going to check out the slicer, but nine inches seems a little short. I wish they had used something other than brass for the bolster and pins.

"CALIFORNIA PROP 65 WARNING: This product may contain a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm."
-M

As in, if someone stabbed you in the groin with one, you might experience reproductive harm?

As in, if someone stabbed you in the groin with one, you might experience reproductive harm?

No, I believe it is: "your kids may be born with a curious desire to purchase ridiculously expensive cutting implements that will result in their need to hide out in forums where their behavior is tolerated and understood" :razz:

SLT "Kramer is the only Master Smith in the world that specializes in kitchen cutlery." How about Murray Carter? Murray actually passed his Master Smith test with on one of his kitchen knives long before Kramer became famous with the general public.

SLT "Kramer is the only Master Smith in the world that specializes in kitchen cutlery." How about Murray Carter? Murray actually passed his Master Smith test with on one of his kitchen knives long before Kramer became famous with the general public.

Believe it or not, Carter makes a lot more money making neck and outdoor knives. That's where the money is.

I'm going to check out the slicer, but nine inches seems a little short. I wish they had used something other than brass for the bolster and pins.

Sounds like a great everyday knife to me! And I love brass pins! To each his own, I guess...

-M

At my last job I used markers with this warning all day, every day!
They have changed the wording slighty, likely because of a-holes like me!
It used to read "...known to cause cancer by the state of California".
I always told everyone we were safe because we are pretty far away from California, and if I'm ever that way, I'll be IN California. All those people in states by California had better be careful, though.
:D

Not to stir up a hornets nest, but why doesn't this knife generate the same scrutiny and criticism as the Richmond Addict.

Seems to me to be a comparable situation; an entry level copy of a high end knife produced by a long established, high volume knife factory. Actually, with the price of the SLT Kramer, entry level might be inappropriate.

I think because it is made by Henckles who, love them or hate them, make a quality high-end product AND the specs are what Kramer chose (copies of his others - reputed great performers). Add to that they are made of 52100, if I'm not mistaken, they are show stoppers and suddenly it seems like a decent price.

It really depends. The biggest difference other than weight between my Shun Kramer and a real one is the geometry. A real Kramer is much thinner near the tip. If Zwilling decides to keep it thin like their Miyabis, then it should be a good performer.

If they're that good, and affordable, and readily available, doesn't it devalue the mystique of custom Kramer to anyone but a collector?

I mean, first it was the Shun 'damascus', now the Zwillig carbon, what's next? 440c K-mart collection? $15.00 Chinese knock offs you can get from the guy on the corner?

If they're that good, and affordable, and readily available, doesn't it devalue the mystique of custom Kramer to anyone but a collector?

I mean, first it was the Shun 'damascus', now the Zwillig carbon, what's next? 440c K-mart collection? $15.00 Chinese knock offs you can get from the guy on the corner?

Not really because Kramer makes all his money on damascus knives. No one is going to wait 3 years to get a carbon knife especially at the old price. Kramer can only make 200 knives a year. I think he would rather make 200 knives at 4K versus 1.5K.

"Real" Kramers only have a mystique to knuts and collectors as it is. To anyone else, they're absurdly priced knives that look flashy. The performance is there (basically everyone agrees), but it's not the performance that justifies the price. It's having a knife hand-made by one of the greatest.
We have incredible makers on this forum whose knives are spectacular, but to anyone who doesn't understand the difference between a custom and a factory knife, it makes no difference. My favorite knife I own is a 'factory knife', but I'm waiting on a custom by Pierre and I GUARANTEE it will become my new favorite (no pressure Pierre)!
The Henckles Kramers will be a very good knife, I'm sure (and worth the money...hopefully), but are not and I don't think they're pretending to be a 'real' Kramer. They are trying to be as close as you can get without the man himself making it to our specs.
Also, i think most would agree that the Henckles version should be a step up from the Shun Kramer, so I don't get the K-Mart comment.
I'm not trying to be argumentative AT ALL, I'm just trying to explain my thoughts :)

Maybe there will be a Richmond Kramer Addict version one day? :biggrin2:

\No one is going to wait 3 years to get a carbon knife especially at the old price. Kramer can only make 200 knives a year. I think he would rather make 200 knives at 4K versus 1.5K.

I waited more than three years for my straight 52100 Kramer. The damascus was too rich for me, even at the old price. I have wondered why the knife connoisseurs here have no interest in Kramer's plain knives since they are higher-performing knives than his damascus.

I jumped on the SLT web site Monday morning, and signed up for his June knife class in VA. I'm hoping it is not a sales pitch.

If one of you guys with a real Kramer wants to ship it to me for a few days, it would be fun to bring it to class and tell him I just bought it on eBay :happy2:

Latest posts

Back