Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for NOLA

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    commanders palace is touristy BS
    Sorry I couldn't disagree more. Every meal I have eaten there has been spectacular and the service impeccable. It is one of the few restaurants recognized for it's excellence by both locals and visitors, not to mention critics and respected publications/organizations.

http://www.commanderspalace.com/recognition/

cancel.........
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    My wife and I will be passing through NOLA in late June so these suggestions are very welcomed. We will arrive late on a Friday and fly out on Sunday morning so we will have some time to look around a little and maybe eat outselves silly.

FYI Antoine's Restaurant, for classic Creole cooking in the French Quarter, has an amazing lunch special: $20.12 for 3 courses and 25 cent martinis to go with it!

Alright, since we've started . . .

+1 to Casamento's. It's probably my favorite restaurant in all of NOLA. My usual meal there was a dozen oysters, cup of gumbo, and a soft shell crab loaf (unfortunately, not in season yet) and several Dixie beers.

Galatoire's for lunch. No coat requirement, and better food than all of the other old Creole restaurants. I love the Crabmeat Maison.

Brigtsen's for Cajun food on the Riverbend where St. Charles meets South Carrolton. I much preferred Brigtsen's to K-Paul's.

For po-boy's, since my favorite place is long gone (Louisiana Seafood Exchange counter taken over by Crabby Jack's; but Crabby Jack's seems to still have a similar menu), I would go with some place classic like Domilise's.

Unfortunately, all of John Besh's and Donald Link's restaurants came after I lived there. I will have to say, though, that Emeril's was consistently good. And, I was always impressed by Bayona. FWIW, nearly all of the local attorneys I got to know recommended the Bon Ton Cafe in the Central Business District for lunch.

I also loved Zachary's that was in the Riverbend area. The owner apparently opened up Lil' Dizzy's Cafe. They had great fried chicken and jambalaya. I've heard/read/seen lots of great things about Willie Mae's Scotch House's fried chicken.

I'm hoping to go back next year. I've got a lot of eating to do there to get current.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by cnochef View Post
    Sorry I couldn't disagree more. Every meal I have eaten there has been spectacular and the service impeccable. It is one of the few restaurants recognized for it's excellence by both locals and visitors, not to mention critics and respected publications/organizations.

http://www.commanderspalace.com/recognition/
    i didnt say it wasnt good. it is touristy BS though. i know very few people locally that like commanders.

Engorged Member
    Thanks Guys. I won't be spending my own money so I'm ready to get my eat on.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Just walk around.
    When you can't understand the accent and you hear zydego music in the background,
    then you are probably in the right place.

I hope you are ready to suck some crawdad heads.

That just sounds wrong.
    Mark Farley / Burl Source
    Phone 541-287-1029, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

This is easy, go to Stella for dinner and Stanley's for breakfast. Trust me!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

new orleans is a food city, no doubt. i would strongly encourage anyone visiting to try
    some stuff besides commanders,galatoires,etc etc etc...or any other restaurant thats a zillion years old. its not that these landmarks arent good(i worked at galatoires for a couple of years,believe me i respect what they do) but to me, those places dont represent modern new orleans cuisine as the people know it. the big places more or less cater to your perception of new orleans FWIW. the average joe in new orleans is more or less a foodie/drunk and you shouldnt have a problem getting good local recomendations.