Quantcast
Recommendations for NOLA
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for NOLA

Engorged Member

Recommendations for NOLA

Going to be in New Orleans for a week for work(Microsoft Dynamics Convergence) and wanted some restaurant recommendations. I haven't been there in 7 years...
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

What do you like? Fine Dining, casual, hole in the wall, bars, music clubs?

Let me know and I'll give you my 5 cents worth, we visit NOLA every year.

I lived there for 3 years, but haven't been there in a while. Luckily, most of my favorite places are still there. Come to think of it, most of my favorite places have probably been around longer than I've been alive.

What kind of places are you looking for? Where are you staying and will you have a car?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Hey, I will be in NOLA next week, too! Can I hitchhike on this thread? Will be at the Convention Center, without car.

I have suddenly have a Muffuletta craving!
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
    I have suddenly have a Muffuletta craving!
    LOVE IT!! That is exactly what I thought of first too.

Mmmmmm . . . Muffuletta - now I want one too.

What the heck let me start with some of my favorites anyways!

You are going during prime oyster, soft shell crab and crawfish season so:
    Casamento's-The freshest oysters you'll ever have, fried oyster loaf and soft shell crabs. It's on Magazine Street, which is great for walking around.
    Crawfish boil is more of an outside NOLA and Cajun thing, KJean in midtown is probably your best best. It's on Carrollton St. N, close to Angelo Brocato which is a must for Ice Cream. Easy to get there via Streetcar up Canal St.

John Besh's restaurant Luke in the Hilton has 50 cent oysters and great drink specials during Happy Hour.

I love Donald Link's Cochon for sharing small plates and the moonshine tasting. Plus, he has a great deli called Butcher right around the corner for hotel supplies.
    It's on Tchoupitoulas St. close to Emeril's so you can grab an amazing banana cream pie there for dessert. Trust me, it's worth it.

Another John Besh restaurant Domenica in the old Roosevelt Hotel has amazing Italian food from the mortadella beignets to start, great thin crust pizzas and homemade pastas.

I never miss getting a muffaletta from Central Grocery (and a couple of Abita beers at the liquor store a few doors down to go with it-BTW Abita strawberry beer is in season right now) or po-boys with Barq's root beer long necks (local NOLA treat) from Johnny's. Both are right in the busy part of the French Quarter.

For late night fun, I love Coop's Place, which is a Cajun dive bar with great food and really cheap liquor further down the French Quarter near Frenchman Street. Try the rabbit jambalaya, so good.
    Speaking of Frenchman Street, we usually ignore the busier and popular clubs and go to The Spotted Cat instead, more fun and locals and drink specials.

If you're looking for a great go-to breakfast and quick lunch place, there is an excellent corner luncheon called Commerce Restaurant on Camp St. It's cheap and tasty plentiful food.

If you're in NOLA on a Sunday, make an advance reservation for brunch on the garden patio at Commander's Palace. This is one of those classic NOLA experiences that is worth every penny. They have a 3 course brunch special that also includes a cocktail. Standout items are Brandy punch, turtle soup and bread pudding souffle. Any entree you choose will be great. You can take the old St. Charles streetcar there and then walk around the Garden District afterwards and admire the beautiful homes (the house from The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Sandra Bullock's mansion are just around the corner).

i live in baton rouge, which is an hour north of new orleans. when i visit i always hit up either cochon or herbsaint(donald links european inspired restuarant). herbsaint is really really underrated. cochon is his high volume flagship restuarant so to speak. commanders palace is touristy BS. domenica is the bomb as well. if you can afford august check it out. probably the best place in new orleans presently. if your about and about at 2 am hit up verte mart in the french quarter.

Cochon at corner of Andrew Higgins and Tchoupitoulas. If go east towards the river on A Higgins there was a hole in the wall c-store that had the best oyster po boy I've had, they also had some great Cajun country cold cuts. Of course just directly east of Cochon is their butcher/sandwich shop owned by the same chef. Great food. Cochon serves a fusion of country/creole cooking. The one dish I remember most are the sherried rabbit livers as an appetizer. For NOLA Italian I can recommend Mandina's neighborhood restaurant, turtle soup, po boys, creole eggplant, etc., its on Canal.