Is this a good score? vintage sab

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labor of love

That’s what Maboroshi said
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just bought a sab off ebay for $67. i like the handle and bolster, plus the blade seems to be in good condition and not heavily sharpened like many vintage sabatiers...tell me your opinion please, because im not good at figuring out the value of used sabs...i was prepared to go up to around $110-120 for this knife. i think i got a pretty good deal. am i right? i dunno, it was love at first sight!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Car...Kcjn3i6Q%2BOfJwaN4aX4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

you did good. They are as valuable as someone is willing to pay for it. I've seen the same knife sell for $10 and I've seen them sell for $200 in roughly the same shape and I guaranty you both guys thought they were getting a deal. figure around $100 to $125 and your golden. you did good.

No help as to the value, but if the steel is as nice as the profile, it should be a pretty great knife for the money.

you did good. They are as valuable as someone is willing to pay for it. I've seen the same knife sell for $10 and I've seen them sell for $200 in roughly the same shape and I guaranty you both guys thought they were getting a deal. figure around $100 to $125 and your golden. you did good.
thanks. your approval is very comforting.

Congratulations! You've got a very nice piece, I think. This has its price, though. May I ask for pix when you have cleaned it up??

thanks. your approval is very comforting.

well I was bidding on it myself but, missed the end of it while I was on the line. Chef Au ritz was one of the better Sabatier lines. This is probably from the 60's or 70's.

Congratulations! You've got a very nice piece, I think. This has its price, though. May I ask for pix when you have cleaned it up??

yeah. ill put up some cleaned up pics in 2-3 weeks. im gonna try and clean up the blade with some vinegar baths and then work on the grind....i plan on leaving the handle the way it is for the time being. maybe soak it in mineral oil...

For what it's worth, I'd sell it for $95 on my site, and i try to be on the fair side. Nice catch!

Nice score - I was eye balling that one myself, but came to my senses - :lol2:

Think of it this way, Mike. You just lost the $30 plus shipping you could have saved!

i recieved the knife today. as promised, i wanted to put up a few wip pics. heres the condition as i recieved it.

i thinned it behind the edge, even though it was actually already pretty thin. this ritz definitely is much lighter and less clunky than some other sabs ive used. heres some pics after the vinegar bath.

after some cleaning with brasso, i went ahead and used some sandpaper (600,800) then micromesh pads. i cleaned off all the patina but theres slight pitting that covers the entire blade, almost like a pattern. but it looks cool, adds charm to the blade.

finally a simple bester 500 +1200 + green brick and light stropping and a little oiling of the handle and its ready for work.

very nicely done. I like the fact that you didn't over finish it and left the character there.

thanks. i dont have any real experience restoring old knives. i was really impressed with how quickly the steel raised a burr. the sharpening was a breeze.

Really nice job. Any insights worth sharing are appreciated. I have a few old carbons and Sabs I may refinish

Really nice job. Any insights worth sharing are appreciated. I have a few old carbons and Sabs I may refinish

i dunno. i was looking for some restoration tips myself, lol. i was lucky that i found a decent condition sab with no cracks in the handle and not too mich steel removes from sharpening. for the blade, i simply gave it a hot vinegar bath for about half an hour, lots of brasso and elbow grease to get it clean. then i polished it. i plan on soaking the handle in mineral oil when i have the free time.

nice!! i've bid on 5-6 of those Sabs. i ALWAYS get sniped right at the end by one of you guys!! last time, i almost spiked my iphone..hahaha.

now i got a Free Gustav. but i love the profile of the Sabs much better.

i just bought a sab off ebay for $67. i like the handle and bolster, plus the blade seems to be in good condition and not heavily sharpened like many vintage sabatiers...tell me your opinion please, because im not good at figuring out the value of used sabs...i was prepared to go up to around $110-120 for this knife. i think i got a pretty good deal. am i right? i dunno, it was love at first sight!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Car...Kcjn3i6Q%2BOfJwaN4aX4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

GREATTT score man! The Au Ritz sabs are my fav, and are considered to be some of the best. You got it for a bit less than what I'm used to seeing. Both the 8" and 10" Au Ritz's I see sell on ebay for anywhere from $90-$150. You you def did good. And I believe that is the same knife K-fed got re-handled and all dolled-up by Dave. It's a real stunner.

I'm afraid to use my vintage sabs as beaters. I have too much of a love affair with them and they're getting harder to find. Also, whenever someone makes a new thread about them here, the stuff available on ebay for the next couple weeks gets a lot of bidding action and hits a topped out price lol. Whenever I'm bidding on one, I figure I'm bidding against a person here :) Just look at the vintage dexters that just got shown some love here, like the 48910's. A few are selling or sold for $60-$70, almost double what they were. I don't even want to mention the Forgecrafts, OY! They are already hard enough to find and just the mention makes it even harder. Imma shut up now.

But great buy man! Enjoy it (wish it was mine)!

I have a couple that I have to replace the handles on . They're shot. You kept yours original. Really nice. From the pleasure you get from refinishing and then using it, the price is almost irrelevent. Enjoy it.

It sure is the same knife. Much better shape than mine was and about the same price. Nice score. The steel is really nice. Takes an awesome edge and sharpens up very easily. I too don't have the heart to beat on my vintage sabs. I keep them safe and sound on a dresser in my bedroom and break them out for special occasions.

after 2 days of prep work my sab developed a cracked handle. i didnt do anything crazy, just a good bit of herb mincing, potatos, and slicing tasks. im guessing the humidity here in southern Louisiana attributed somewhat. i really have no idea how this happened. im looking for some advice, should i seal it with epoxy? recommendations anybody? im pretty sure that after i do some research ill find someone to do rehandling, but right now i would like to stop the crack from getting any worse. thanks.

Back