Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best handle ever?

Best handle ever?

Of all the beautiful handles I've used (Phil Wilson's stag, Bill Burke's musk ox, Michael Rader's koa/mammoth, Stephan's koa/blonde horn and his blue bakelite), and much as I hate to admit it. . .

Name:  IMG_2740.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  13.2 KB

I still like my Fribrox. Sure grip, feels great, no matter how wet or how greasy. Fits snug in the hand, surprisingly ergonomic, semi-bird's beak and ugly as a dead pigeon.

Can someone please tell me why no one else, not even the hallowed craftsmen on this site, puts a handle like this on some great, heat-treated steel (and I'm not counting Butch's rainbow micarta)? I'm talkin' 'bout stuff that's softer and gripp-ier than G-10 or linen micarta combined.

Name:  IMG_2741.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  24.9 KB

It'd be too easy, though you liking it so much, got me interested to take a look at it.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

It limits your grips. I've had knives with similar handles but they tend to be best for hardcore work.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    It'd be too easy, though you liking it so much, got me interested to take a look at it.
    I was just googling for fibrox material myself After having to recover a moment from falling behind the ugly 'dead pigeon' in J.'s ranking

Stefan

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I hate that stuff. Natural-ish materials are my favorite.
    If it's plastic or anything even resembling plastic/resin/rubbery-stuff, I'm takin' it off.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Is it mostly the grippiness that you like so much?

I just hate looking at it...

(First thought when I read the title was Rader)

No offense intended, Stefan.

Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaff View Post
    No offense intended, Stefan.
    Just kidding. I don't have much experience with finishing micarta, but with the few pieces I worked with from Butch I thought if they are not sanded too high and don't get any glue or other finish applied to them, they should be quite grippy, probably more that Fibrox. But the shape of the Victorinox handles clearly doesn't do it for me (although, admittedly, it may be 20 years ago that I last use done).

Stefan

I kinda agree with the OP. it feels good, and its stays secure when things get wet, but it does limit your grip options. If someone did a D or octagon I'd try it. I love mine for fish when things have to get wet, but wish I had more grip options then pinch. Anyone know what plastic they use?
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Mac pro handle, best western style ever.