Quantcast
Is this a good score? vintage sab - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is this a good score? vintage sab

nice!! i've bid on 5-6 of those Sabs. i ALWAYS get sniped right at the end by one of you guys!! last time, i almost spiked my iphone..hahaha.

now i got a Free Gustav. but i love the profile of the Sabs much better.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    i just bought a sab off ebay for $67...i was prepared to go up to around $110-120 for this knife.
    If you were willing to pay $40-50 more, you got a good deal!

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    i just bought a sab off ebay for $67. i like the handle and bolster, plus the blade seems to be in good condition and not heavily sharpened like many vintage sabatiers...tell me your opinion please, because im not good at figuring out the value of used sabs...i was prepared to go up to around $110-120 for this knife. i think i got a pretty good deal. am i right? i dunno, it was love at first sight!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Carb...vip=true&rt=nc
    GREATTT score man! The Au Ritz sabs are my fav, and are considered to be some of the best. You got it for a bit less than what I'm used to seeing. Both the 8" and 10" Au Ritz's I see sell on ebay for anywhere from $90-$150. You you def did good. And I believe that is the same knife K-fed got re-handled and all dolled-up by Dave. It's a real stunner.

I'm afraid to use my vintage sabs as beaters. I have too much of a love affair with them and they're getting harder to find. Also, whenever someone makes a new thread about them here, the stuff available on ebay for the next couple weeks gets a lot of bidding action and hits a topped out price lol. Whenever I'm bidding on one, I figure I'm bidding against a person here Just look at the vintage dexters that just got shown some love here, like the 48910's. A few are selling or sold for $60-$70, almost double what they were. I don't even want to mention the Forgecrafts, OY! They are already hard enough to find and just the mention makes it even harder. Imma shut up now.

But great buy man! Enjoy it (wish it was mine)!

I have a couple that I have to replace the handles on . They're shot. You kept yours original. Really nice. From the pleasure you get from refinishing and then using it, the price is almost irrelevent. Enjoy it.

It sure is the same knife. Much better shape than mine was and about the same price. Nice score. The steel is really nice. Takes an awesome edge and sharpens up very easily. I too don't have the heart to beat on my vintage sabs. I keep them safe and sound on a dresser in my bedroom and break them out for special occasions.

after 2 days of prep work my sab developed a cracked handle. i didnt do anything crazy, just a good bit of herb mincing, potatos, and slicing tasks. im guessing the humidity here in southern Louisiana attributed somewhat. i really have no idea how this happened. im looking for some advice, should i seal it with epoxy? recommendations anybody? im pretty sure that after i do some research ill find someone to do rehandling, but right now i would like to stop the crack from getting any worse. thanks.

heres a couple more pics of the sab hanging out, just looking cool.

seal it with superglue or epoxy! =D

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    seal it with superglue or epoxy! =D
    thanks! i just wanted to make sure.