Quantcast
finally got bragging rights. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: finally got bragging rights.

Congrats on the bragging rights.

THAT is VERY cool!

Can you explain the sound trick a little more in depth, I am interested in what you listen for and how this works.
    KP

Quote Originally Posted by wellminded1 View Post
    Can you explain the sound trick a little more in depth, I am interested in what you listen for and how this works.
    KP
    That is very hard to explain, The edge sings to me. I hold it up near my ear, place the finger next to my pinky up against the part of the ear in front of the hole, not the outer part of the ear if that makes sense, then I run my thumb across the whole entire edge an listen for consistency in tone. If everything sounds right, I go the opposite direction using my index finger if the tone is the same, I shouldn't have any burrs or wire edges. Everyone of my knives has a different tone, like a fingerprint. It isn't fool proof but, it works for me. Master Kasahara does something similar but, he drags it across his hair, if it catches there is a burr if not there isn't.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

now I gotta get as good as Dave Martell and I can be king of the worls.lol

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    now I gotta get as good as Dave Martell and I can be king of the worls.lol
    You know Son, he does have classes so if you really want to up your game you could always go that route.

Son, this is a sign you're no longer Angelita Negroe and the karma scale is back where it should be.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Great story Son, well told - as always. Thanks for sharing! And for explaining the singing edge myth.

nothing to brag about any more.

Still Angelito Negroe.
    Well guys, I don't have anything to brag about. What I thought I heard and what was really said was lost in translation amongst the many participants. I really should learn Japanese before I let my alligator mouth overload my hummingbird ass. I recieved a gentle note from the ever gracious Jon, clarifying what was actually said and it wasn't what Theory and I thought was said. Here it is. far be from me to claim glory that was not won. perhaps one day, perhaps one day. hangs head in shame.

Son-
    Hopefully i'm not being too much of a dick, but i think you misunderstood what kasahara-san was saying about your sharpening. It wasnt bad by any means, but what he said was more along the lines of this:
    he didnt expect people in the US to even care about sharpening, much less sharpen their own knives, so to see that you cared for your knives and sharpened them yourself was impressive to him. He said the edge you had was still sharp and didnt really need sharpening, but if you wanted, he could put a better edge on it... then he asked if you wanted a toothier or smoother edge.

A little lost in translation... sorry about that. Still though, it was a nice edge on the forgecraft.

-Jon

Thanks, Jon
    at least I got to have my knives sharpened by a master and got to spend time with my friends.
    sorry, guys.
    son

+ Reply to Thread