Need help Id'ing this deba! And i need some restoration advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madmox

Reaction score
So i have this deba that was sold by Kiya. Its 6.5". one of the Kanji means gold. The blade is Kitaeji or pattern welded. Now unfortunately the previous owner hamfisted up the blade pretty bad especially the back inch and a half or so where it was ground pretty aggressively. Now what I am trying to figure out is if its worth it for me to send it out to be fixed and reground to correct the bevel. You can see the second bevel pretty well in the second picture. its pretty aggressive and going to need a hell of a regrind to correct I want to turn around and sell it as its a right handed blade and im a southpaw. im also trying to get an idea as to what it may have cost new or its replacement value now? or what i might be able to get out of it repaired. the Kiya website isn't much help because its not geared up as a storefront. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.
Madmox

E19B3E4E-411A-479C-B71F-965BD3DCD09F-4608-00000847C8097A02_zps03777ceb.jpg

D3321C42-54B5-4E74-B229-86BB09FC35A2-4608-00000847BAEE75B2_zps4970134e.jpg

all I can tell is the first Kanji means gold, 2nd kanji means wood! I show the pic. to my Japanese & Chinese friends,but nobody understand 3rd Kanji and who made the deba.....

Yeah. The last two are definitely Kiya. I just have no idea if it is worth enough to spend the money to fix the bevel before I sell it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't cheap. I just have no ballpark.

You can get some hints from how this blade looks like.
The grind is nothing spectacular, but it was not killed yet with improper sharpening/thinning.
the choil is rough, you have this kind of "damascus " cladding so yeah new this knife was maybe worth something. If so, it may suggest that it was from some higher-end line, and that may suggest QC was better than the cheapos. Now that doesnt hold truth for some makers.
But imho the most important part is not in the pictures - the back side. If there is a bloody mess, then you cannot squeeze too much out of it.

You would have to check if the blade is true and not warped.

The overall condition of the front aint too bad which is promising. Handle is to be replaced but it has horn ferrule [might be possible to repolish it]

yeah I am right with you about the handle. the handle itself isn't bad at all its just dirty from the 220 stone mud. The ferrule itself is a wreck, its all chipped out and has holes in it. Almost like the bone was eaten trough by something so at the very least the handle needs a ferrule. the backside is actually in amazingly good shape. That never got abused at all, which surprises me. But i just went to the wood store and bought handle makins for my Shig so it might get worked over if I don't sell it soon. I bought it on an impulse for $90 and i know korin will restore the blade and sharpen it for $75. Im just curious if I can get that money back out selling it when it gets back. Looks like the upper end Kiya deba's run about $350 currently but none i have been able to find are Kitaeje these days.

-Mox

Back