Looking for an affordable (semi)SS petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riba

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like your advice on obtaining an affordable (semi)stainless petty for my lady. I noticed that she enjoys using my blue steel petty, however she doesn't like to care for it. Therefore I am looking for an affordable (she tends to abuse knives ;) ), (semi)SS (it might not get wiped (quickly) after use) petty.

So far I am eyeballing a JCK CarboNext or a hiromoto Tenmi-Jyuraku Gingami No.3.
Are there any contestants that I am missing? Any recommendations?

What price range and size?

What price range and size?

About 12cm and I am having up to 130 US $ (100 EUR) in mind (incl shipping), but I am very open to suggestions.

(We do have a Yusuke 19cm gyuto, which is considered long.. ;) )

One of the best little petty knives I've used was/is a Fujiwara FKH. Mine is carbon, but I'd have zero hesitation recommending the stainless (FKM) line. Japanesechefsknife.com carries them, has $7 shipping and Koki is amazing to deal with. For $44 ($51 total), you can have the 150mm. Done!

One of the best little petty knives I've used was/is a Fujiwara FKH. Mine is carbon, but I'd have zero hesitation recommending the stainless (FKM) line. Japanesechefsknife.com carries them, has $7 shipping and Koki is amazing to deal with. For $44 ($51 total), you can have the 150mm. Done!

great suggestion, that one goes on the shortlist! :) Nicely priced too!

A delicate question as a present to the lady is involved...
Petties tend to wear out quickly. The actual edge length is relatively small, a lot of board contact will occur, they got sharpened frequently.
A good reason to choose an abrasion resistant stainless.
Lefty's suggestion of the Fujiwara FKM is great. Get the 150mm.

A delicate question as a present to the lady is involved...
Petties tend to wear out quickly. The actual edge length is relatively small, a lot of board contact will occur, they got sharpened frequently.
A good reason to choose an abrasion resistant stainless.
Lefty's suggestion of the Fujiwara FKM is great. Get the 150mm.

Don't worry it isn't considered a gift, that wouldn't be appreciated ;)

you have a good point wrt the length. Now I think about it, I am trying to add parer capabilities to a petty. The reason is that I recently saw her removing the green core of some garlic in her hand and that looked a bit unsettling with the 15 cm petty. i probably should just get an additional parer as well ;)

Misono Moly has the nicest modern parer I've seen. Actually, get the petty too and make it a pair for her.

I would wait for reactions by people using themselves the FKM petty. Only after sending my previous post, I remembered old reports about the FKM being much thicker than the FKH.

the hiromoto as petty from the site that shall not be named has them for $73 bucks but shipping overseas might be a bit much

For delivery in Europe you're much better off with JCK's flat shipping rate, and their way to deal with custom regulations.

I would wait for reactions by people using themselves the FKM petty. Only after sending my previous post, I remembered old reports about the FKM being much thicker than the FKH.

Jck lists them both at 1.8 mm.

About 12cm and I am having up to 130 US $ (100 EUR) in mind (incl shipping), but I am very open to suggestions.

(We do have a Yusuke 19cm gyuto, which is considered long.. ;) )

The Hiromoto Gingami has very good fit and finish, and it will not develop gray stains like the CarboNext. It gets my vote of the two you mention for that reason. If you can like with the minor discoloration, the CarboNext will take a slightly better edge.

Rick

Wow, thanks for all the reactions, I really appreciate it!

Given the import regulations and low shipping costs, JCK indeed does have a significant price advantage for me. So my current plan is to get the Fujiwara FKM if somebody reports back positively on it (especially wrt the thickness behind the edge). If not, I am inclined to go for the Hiromoto Gingami (discoloration isn't a problem for us, but I already have a CarboNext (suji) and like to try different brands (but I don't like giving up performance ;) )).

And the Misono Moly parer is screaming "buy me, buy me" ;)

I think you'll do great any way you go, with the knives mentioned, but I've never used the FKM...only the FKH. As or the Misono parer, I fin the price pretty reasonable, and their F and F is always amazing. People's biggest complaint with them is a) Price, b) Softer steel (58hrc for moly). However, with a parer, it's not as important, nor is the steel "that bad". :D

I have a FKM in 120mm and like it quite well, surprisingly well actually. It's perhaps the best value of all my knives. Ive had it about 3 years now and it gets a lot of use in my kitchen. It was plenty thin behind the edge.

I wanted the 150 but it was sold out at the time, I'm glad for it because this is a great size. If anything happened to it I would promptly buy another.

I have been wanting to try a Hiromoto G3 for several years though...

I have a masamoto vg SS 150mm petty brand new with saya that I just bought in B/S/T that I am now looking to sell. If you are interested, PM me for details I got a good deal and will pass on the savings :)

i do like the masamoto and yoshikane, but I am afraid that the price including shipping will exclude them.
Great to hear that the FKM is thin behind the edge :)))

Back