Quantcast
What is your Gesshin stone setup?
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your Gesshin stone setup?

What is your Gesshin stone setup?

I am getting my first stone setup (nothing ordered yet) and I am having hard time to ignore all those positive comments about the Gesshin stones.

There are quite a few Gesshing stones in the 1000+ range: 1k, 2k, 4k, 5k, 6k, the new 1k/6k and the 8k

I am looking in a 2 stone combination in the range 1k - 8k (later a coarser stone will join the party too)

I would like to ask - what kind of stone combination (featuring at least one Gesshin stone, but better 2) and why did you choose it?

So, tell me what you've got

On my double bevels been finding myself going Gesshin 2k to 5k recently. Really liking the edge this gives me. The 5k especially is a great stone

I had the 1k & 5k for a little while and they are very nice quality stones that produced nice edges. They're both splash and go, and they work well together. I just happen to like something a little harder, so I moved on, no slight against the stones.
    Jon also suggests the 600 & 6k as a two stone combo of splash and go stones.
    I've also heard many people mention using the 400 & 2k, as well as the 400 & 4k, depending on the kind of edge you prefer.

Lots of people are using these stones, so you should get plenty of first hand advice here shortly.

400, 2k, 4k, then either strop or jnats

About to add the 1/6k combo to take to work.

Honestly the 4k cuts so quick I rarely go below that unless I want to raise a larger burr or remove fatigued metal.

The 600- 6k sounds great or the combo stone IMO

Quote Originally Posted by jgraeff View Post
    400, 2k, 4k,
    this is what ill get when i gather the funds. jon has written a good bit about how he likes to use his stones on his JKI blog. its good reading, and helps with the decision making process.

Quote Originally Posted by jgraeff View Post
    400, 2k, 4k, then either strop or jnats

Honestly the 4k cuts so quick I rarely go below that unless I want to raise a larger burr or remove fatigued metal.

The 600- 6k sounds great or the combo stone IMO
    Ditto all of that. I think we are victims of groupthink.
    I have the takashima awasedo to follow the 4k for light stropping or for refinement of single bevels as well.

I would really like to see that 600/6k combo come to fruition, wishful thinking perhaps. I got to use them individually when I was in there last, great stones. As are the rest of the Gesshins, can't got wrong there.

If I were just buying 1, it would be the 4k. You could get away nicely with a Bester 1.2k, for example, followed by the 4k.

Have you considered how you feel about soakers vs splash and go?
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

i wasnt planning on making that as a combo stone (the 600/6k) FWIW, but i guess i could... is that really something you guys want to see? (*sorry to the mods for posing the question here)

2k & 6k which Jon recommend to me...however, I want to try 5k because I like tooth edge
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

For stainless I go shapton pro 2k, gesshin 4k and kitiyama 8k
    For carbon I go pro 2k, gesshin 5 k, and strop.

I seldom drop below a 2k anymore, maybe every quarter I will hit a GS 1k.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    i wasnt planning on making that as a combo stone (the 600/6k) FWIW, but i guess i could... is that really something you guys want to see? (*sorry to the mods for posing the question here)
    Jon,

I would say yes it'd be a good option. For me I feel the 600 would offer raising a burr fast but also a tool for thinning or mini repairs. The 6k I feel would be a great final edge.

I just think it would offer more options than the 1k although maybe that's because I have the 2k already ( that stone is bada$$ and cuts like crazy)

I'd be curious to see what others say though?