What is your Gesshin stone setup?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
KKF Supporting Craftsman
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am getting my first stone setup (nothing ordered yet) and I am having hard time to ignore all those positive comments about the Gesshin stones.

There are quite a few Gesshing stones in the 1000+ range: 1k, 2k, 4k, 5k, 6k, the new 1k/6k and the 8k

I am looking in a 2 stone combination in the range 1k - 8k (later a coarser stone will join the party too)

I would like to ask - what kind of stone combination (featuring at least one Gesshin stone, but better 2) and why did you choose it?

So, tell me what you've got :)

On my double bevels been finding myself going Gesshin 2k to 5k recently. Really liking the edge this gives me. The 5k especially is a great stone

I had the 1k & 5k for a little while and they are very nice quality stones that produced nice edges. They're both splash and go, and they work well together. I just happen to like something a little harder, so I moved on, no slight against the stones.
Jon also suggests the 600 & 6k as a two stone combo of splash and go stones.
I've also heard many people mention using the 400 & 2k, as well as the 400 & 4k, depending on the kind of edge you prefer.

Lots of people are using these stones, so you should get plenty of first hand advice here shortly.

400, 2k, 4k, then either strop or jnats

About to add the 1/6k combo to take to work.

Honestly the 4k cuts so quick I rarely go below that unless I want to raise a larger burr or remove fatigued metal.

The 600- 6k sounds great or the combo stone IMO

400, 2k, 4k, then either strop or jnats

Honestly the 4k cuts so quick I rarely go below that unless I want to raise a larger burr or remove fatigued metal.

The 600- 6k sounds great or the combo stone IMO

Ditto all of that. I think we are victims of groupthink. :)
I have the takashima awasedo to follow the 4k for light stropping or for refinement of single bevels as well.

I would really like to see that 600/6k combo come to fruition, wishful thinking perhaps. I got to use them individually when I was in there last, great stones. As are the rest of the Gesshins, can't got wrong there.

If I were just buying 1, it would be the 4k. You could get away nicely with a Bester 1.2k, for example, followed by the 4k.

Have you considered how you feel about soakers vs splash and go?

i wasnt planning on making that as a combo stone (the 600/6k) FWIW, but i guess i could... is that really something you guys want to see? (*sorry to the mods for posing the question here)

2k & 6k which Jon recommend to me...however, I want to try 5k because I like tooth edge:)

For stainless I go shapton pro 2k, gesshin 4k and kitiyama 8k
For carbon I go pro 2k, gesshin 5 k, and strop.

I seldom drop below a 2k anymore, maybe every quarter I will hit a GS 1k.

i wasnt planning on making that as a combo stone (the 600/6k) FWIW, but i guess i could... is that really something you guys want to see? (*sorry to the mods for posing the question here)

Jon,

I would say yes it'd be a good option. For me I feel the 600 would offer raising a burr fast but also a tool for thinning or mini repairs. The 6k I feel would be a great final edge.

I just think it would offer more options than the 1k although maybe that's because I have the 2k already ( that stone is bada$$ and cuts like crazy)

I'd be curious to see what others say though?

The only one I have (so far) is the 5k splash and go...will be getting something complementary in this line soon. I wonder if I could go 600 to 5k without an inbetweener?

These are exactly the kind of answers I have hoped for :doublethumbsup:

Have you considered how you feel about soakers vs splash and go?

I should probably just say that I do not see the problem with soakers - I do not need to sharpen my knives every day :O, nor do I travel around with the stones. And should the soakers give 'better' feel than the splash&go stones, than I even may prefer soakers. But in principle I do not see a problem with either.

But a brief question to Jon about the 600/6k request (and along the same lines of chinacats' qestion). You have once mentioned around here that going directly from 2k to 8k can be done, but it is hard to get the same '8k quality edge' like if there was one more grit used in between. This makes me wondering about the 600 -> 6k step - isn't that too large of a step as well?

actually, the 600 and 6k work well together... i was surprised to find this when i started testing

400, 2k, 4k. i like where that gets me. for some reason i wasn't drawn to the splash and go's

actually, the 600 and 6k work well together... i was surprised to find this when i started testing
Wouldn't the 600 grit be too much if the blade only needs 'normal' sharpening that could be done with 2k or 4k? I guess it depends how the 600 stone actually behaves ...

As a newbie learning to sharpen, I am loving the 4K. It consistently leaves me with a great double bevel, and as mentioned previously, it really cuts fast and efficiently. Am on verge of getting a proper strop, so assuming a nice 4k finish followed by some good quality stropping will leave me in great shape as a home cook.

maybe the 600 just gets you there faster. less strokes perhaps?

Precisely, I don't see it being too aggressive to mess the blade up, if your a beginner I'd say can't go wrong with the 4k to start. It leaves a very useable edge and can remove enough material to keep edge fresh of you spend enough time on it.

The main theme here is simply you CANNOT go wrong with ANY of his stones. Just pick which ones stand out to you and il assure you will be happy. Two stone setups 600/6k. 1/6k combo, or 400/4k all work well.

I like having the middle stones to add bite or for petty knives, fish knives etc but for a pro environment different edges are a must. But not necessary for most.

BDL at cheftalk.com sings the praises of the 400 - 2k - 8k combo, but from what I can read at japaneseknifeimports.com, Jon seems to recommend something between 2k and 8k. Have you tried the 2k to 8k jump?

Precisely, I don't see it being too aggressive to mess the blade up, if your a beginner I'd say can't go wrong with the 4k to start. It leaves a very useable edge and can remove enough material to keep edge fresh of you spend enough time on it.

I was thinking of something similar. I have the 2k and I think just having that stone alone is a good starter. It cuts fast, and leaves a very good, long lasting, toothy edge. It's faster than most 1k stones, but leaves a more refined edge. I stop with this stone on a number of my knives, including my Global G-2, Sakai Takayuki Inox 120 petty, and Forschner.

I was thinking of something similar. I have the 2k and I think just having that stone alone is a good starter. It cuts fast, and leaves a very good, long lasting, toothy edge. It's faster than most 1k stones, but leaves a more refined edge. I stop with this stone on a number of my knives, including my Global G-2, Sakai Takayuki Inox 120 petty, and Forschner.

I think so too the Gess. 2K is a very versitile stand alone stone for a already trained blade that does not need the lower grits.

I did not like going from my 1000 muddy brick to the Gesshin 6000. It felt weird going from a soft stone to a hard stone. Maybe I'm just strange. So I got a 4000. Great for touch up. The 4000 can be used by itself honestly since it cuts so fast. The 400 can be great even if you are touching up since it gets you started with less strokes. I do take the 6000 with me in my travel gear since it is a splash and go so I can polish any edge on my knives if needed. Which is rare since I normally sharpen them before I put them in the bag. I plan on getting the 600 splash and go to add to my travel gear so that if a friend chips one of my knives, I can fix it right there and keep it pushing.

If I were starting from scratch again, I would get either of the two lineups.

1. Gesshin 600 + 6000 + 10000+.
2. Gesshin 400 + (1000 or 2000) + JNat (Monzento or Awasedo).

The first choice would be a new lineup that I could have fun trying out and experimenting with. The second is familiar to me and I can trust these stones, except for the 1000/2000 since I don't own them. The Monzento either but I have tried them and when you try a good one that suites you, it's an eye opener. Even with the first choice I would still eventually get a couple of JNats anyways since they are so freakin awesome to use.

I absolutely love my Gesshin's and will never switch unless I decide to dabble into the realm of natural stones.

Here is a solid all around progression that will benefit anyone. Gesshin 400...2k...4k...done.

Those 600+1000+6000 and 400+2000+4000 combinations seems to come up pretty frequently :)

Where does the new 1000/6000 stone fits in?

Those 600+1000+6000 and 400+2000+4000 combinations seems to come up pretty frequently :)

Where does the new 1000/6000 stone fits in?

Just add the 600 or 400 and your set...

I got the 2K first,liked it so much bought the 8K,about a yr. later 4K.I like big stones so when the 1K extra large came back into stock recently picked one up.The only stones I have bought in the last 3 yrs. have been Gesshin's.

All said I like them all.but my favorites are the 2K & 4K.The 2K is one of the best do it all stones that I have ever used.

I've been thinking real hard about getting the Gesshin 50,000. I might pull the trigger with my next paycheck.

currently use naniwa 150, bester 1200 and rika 5k, but it's inconvenient having to soak those ahead an hour and then wait for them to dry before storage. (permasoak is out of question). what would be the best single splash n go to get that still leaves a polished enough edge? gesshin 2k? others?

currently use naniwa 150, bester 1200 and rika 5k, but it's inconvenient having to soak those ahead an hour and then wait for them to dry before storage. (permasoak is out of question). what would be the best single splash n go to get that still leaves a polished enough edge? gesshin 2k? others?

Gesshin 5k leaves a pretty polished edge and is splash and go.

Back