The Knife of the decade!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty dog

Reaction score
As most people are aware the 10th anniversary of 9/11 comes this year. I will be hosting a special dinner at my restaurant commemorating the date. ALL of the proceeds of the event will be going to this charity.....http://www.wafs.org/summer_camp.asp
(For those unaware I spent 10 years as a professional firefighter)

In addition to the dinner there will be an auction. Sports memorabilia etc.

Most importantly the auction will include a custom knife made by Devin Thomas. It will be a 240 damascus gyuto with an ebony and brass Western handle.

The knife is currently in it's design stages. All I have to say is the damascus pattern will be unique and special. Included will be a custom saya From Marko Designs. If I know Hoss the knife will be off the charts.

I hope to make this a big deal. It's a cause close to my heart. The auction will take place live during the event and online.

The knife will be engraved commemorating 9/11 and will be one of a kind.

I will keep the forums posted on the progress.

It is great what you are doing.
I was across the river from the pentagon and we felt the shock wave as we were watching the twin towers burn. We thought we were under attach. It was kaos in d.c. could not imagine what it was like in NYC. One of our colleagues had both of his parents perish on flight 93. Little did we know at the time what happened.

Sounds like a brilliant idea. Never knew you were a firefighter... scariest thing I can think of is a smouldering fire fighter holding a huge japanese axe standing in front of you with blood in his eyes. Will and ability indeed.

I would really be interested in the auction - it would be the best reason I can think of to donate to a worthy cause. Hope you'll keep us international forum folk informed well in advance on how to proceed =)

Just one question - any chance to get a tax write off for the aunction for charity? It would be icing on the proverbial cake.

It's truly refreshing to see something like this with 100% of the proceeds going to charity. I saw a commercial recently advertising something on sale "for Japan" and they didn't even bother to mention if anything was to be donated.

Kudos to you sir, and of course Hoss and Marko as well.

The date of the event will be Sunday 9/11. The WAFS is run by a former boss of mine. A retired Deputy Chief from the Milwaukee Fire Dept. It is a certified non profit and all purchases and donations will be accompanied by the proper documentation. Consult your tax professional on deductability.

I'm not going to talk much about the damascus pattern until I see it. I'll just give you a hint. Think New York skyline WITH the twin towers.

Ebony and brass because it's the traditional colors of firefighters turnout gear and old fashioned brass hose couplings and many other pieces of equipment.. Back in the day polishing the brass was a thing.

It will be engraved with 09/11/01 - 09/11/11 on one side and "343" and small firefighters maltese cross on the other. (I lost 343 brothers and sisters that day)

I debated about having the event on the actual anniversary, being a solemn day and all. Then I thought about how those 343 think would feel.

They would insist on it.

Now that it is official, I got to talk to Devin on the saya material. Good (stable and exhibition grade) ebony might take some time to find.

M

Now that it is official, I got to talk to Devin on the saya material. Good (stable and exhibition grade) ebony might take some time to find.

M

Have you ever checked out Gilmer Hardwoods? They have a large selection of ebony and most everything else.

Have you ever checked out Gilmer Hardwoods? They have a large selection of ebony and most everything else.

The material has to be well seasoned and acclimatized. For instance, most tropical hardwoods I buy are kiln dried and I still let them sit for 6 months or longer (a year on average) before I am comfortable working them. Gilmer Hardwoods are air dried with moisture content over 15%.

M

I can't wait to see what you guys come up with! I'm sure it's gonna be amazing and for a nice cause, too. :thumbsup:

M

PM coming your way RE material.

Marko I tried to send you a PM, but I got a message saying "Marko Tsourkan has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

Last edited:
Hmm, i almost feel like I shouldn't bid on it, as it might be more meaningul when used in the hands of an American chef. Someone tell me that this isn't the correct mindset?

Sigh, still one of the greatest tragedies of all time - a senseless base act of cowardice.

I have a feeling it will go to an American but not a chef. Bottom line is the most we can get for the camp.

Yep, this is one of those times I'll be ok to lose to a corporation's representative who puts the knife in a glass showcase at the office foyer. But my bid will definitely be there... not sure if it'll go the whole distance though. Really nice one Salty.

And Dave (Boardsmith) has generously offered a kick-a$$ cutting board that will be part of the auction ass well.

Salty, this is a great idea for a truly honorable cause. I'm also geeked to see what you and Hoss come up with!

Please, as humble you tend to be, Hoss, put your name on it. One day it will be in the hands of an appraiser and someone will want to know if it's junk or not. After our lifetimes, your name will keep that knife around, commemorating the recovery.

Why wouldn't he put his name on it?

I can't wait so see what Hoss comes up with. The patterns that he is able to make are astounding to me.

Back