Quantcast
So the GF wants to use my knives... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So the GF wants to use my knives...

This was a fairly regular source of friction in my home for a while, especially following a crusty rusty Carter incident.

A couple things happened in my house, the most significant being that I've relaxed a bit. After having so many knives and sharpening and reprofiling you come to realize that even your nicest knife is just steel, she can't do anything to it in regular use that can't be fixed. Also of help, she has learned better habits over time with GENTLE suggestions here and there.

My ultimate solution... Buy her a knife as nice as mine are. So I bought her a 180 Mario and told her its hers, no complaining on my part, she can use it however she wants. I agreeed to keep it tuned up no questions asked. The unexpected result: she takes really good care of it. We've had no issues since.

Just remember you will go through dozens of knives in your life And only a couple of wives, so try to keep the peace.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

What I'd do is dont cheap out, get a pierre or maybe an itou or something with a fancy handle but maybe a 180-210, that you had designed and made specially "just for her".

Carbon is always gonna end in tears.

Get some nice stainless pairing knives that are for both of you. It will likely be that she will use these quite a bit.

My wife also likes nakiris and santokus (those tosagata ones off of JWW). She always goes for those. If she needs something bigger there is an 8" forschner she uses. She also uses a bread knife.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Get her a NICE knife as a gift......It will pay off in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Get some nice stainless pairing knives that are for both of you. It will likely that she will use these quite a bit.

My wife also likes nakiris and santokus (those tosagata ones off of JWW). She always goes for those. If she needs something bigger there is a 8" forschner she uses. She also uses a bread knife.

k.
    i can't get my wife to dry off knives, but a 5.5 inch Shun classic santoku (my first good knife purchase!) and a bunch of other small stainless steel knives seems to do it. she doesn't want to use big knives, and the knives i use are all big. with the exception of that bread knife (which i wish she wouldn't use, as she always cuts up my boards, but i make a lot of rustic French bread, so just how it goes).

My wife initially did not want to touch the 210 Hiro gateway J-knife i bought a few years ago. As I acquired more, she appreciated a paring and petty Pierre made (both stainless steel). Then she bought herself a Myabi, which she really liked. For a while... Then she realized she really didn't like that much heft or belly. She gravitated to the DT ITK 240 gyuto, which is stainless steel, although she does not use it enough to be comfortable with the length. Also had the 210 Hiro get the Dave Martell treatment and gave it to her, so she has her own very special knife. But she still tends to leave knives dirty, so she shies away from the Hiro unless she has a lot to prep. She no longer uses a 150 to cut most things, which is a huge step forward.

So I suggest going stainless, and in the 180-210 range (at least initially).

Oh yeah, stainless is going to be a much easier transition and will be much easier on the relationship.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Oh yeah, stainless is going to be a much easier transition and will be much easier on the relationship.
    Type of steel plays a part on the relationship, I fully agree with this, the question is how do we market this line...!

My wife prefers short, light weight, relatively tall knives. I keep them sharp for her. I do most of the cooking. She has no interest in my good knives. I stay away from her pocketbooks .

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    This was a fairly regular source of friction in my home for a while, especially following a crusty rusty Carter incident.

A couple things happened in my house, the most significant being that I've relaxed a bit. After having so many knives and sharpening and reprofiling you come to realize that even your nicest knife is just steel, she can't do anything to it in regular use that can't be fixed. Also of help, she has learned better habits over time with GENTLE suggestions here and there.

My ultimate solution... Buy her a knife as nice as mine are. So I bought her a 180 Mario and told her its hers, no complaining on my part, she can use it however she wants. I agreeed to keep it tuned up no questions asked. The unexpected result: she takes really good care of it. We've had no issues since.

Just remember you will go through dozens of knives in your life And only a couple of wives, so try to keep the peace.

Perhaps, this will make her equally responsible for her "nice" blade and she'll grow to appreciate it even more. Let's be honest most girls do take very good care of stuff if they have a vested interest in it.

Maybe not a Mario but something that can be gifted...

That being said, if we have kids all her attention will shift and I'm fairly sure she'll forget about it...

+ Reply to Thread