Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So the GF wants to use my knives...

So the GF wants to use my knives...

Long time lurker and just becoming active on the forum....

The debacle is that GF and I moved in together a few months back, to this date I have kept my knives in the bag and pull these as needed, which lately is not that much... She currently has a block of your often found stamped SS knives, albeit I've sharpened these a bit - but I want to take these out of the kitchen... they just "muddle" things...

The choices are, do we train or do we get a GF knife - a used TKC, Mac or something along these lines...The later may have some slight repercussions, such as "why can't I use the nice ones..." etc, although she won't actually say that cause she is an awesome girl in that respect, but we all know some girls may ponder over this for days. I honestly think she might be a little jealous because how much attention I give to them and how I "talk" about them...

I'm leaning towards showing her how to use them (except for the single bevels whites), but in the process, my very A-retentiveness may create some frustration... anyway I don't think I'm out of line. While every person is different, just curious if you had success with your significant other..

Some of the culprits:

DT 270 Suji
    DT 240 Gyuto
    Couple of Konosuke #2
    Moritaka petty and Gyuto
    Carter Nakiri

I've had mixed results.

My fiancee certainly doesn't love any of the knives and I wish she'd wipe 'em during and after use. She hasn't yet gotten used to the 240 gyutos, but is totally comfortable with the santokus. However, she freely admits that she's spoiled by having sharp knives and doesn't like using anyone else's knives! So... a bit of good and bad

I say try to teach your girlfriend how to use and take care of the knives *and* get a stainless or semi-stainless knife of a type that she'll feel totally comfortable using. If you can encourage good technique, you will both be happier. Having a good knife that she's comfortable with means she'll get that good technique faster. It also means you would be totally justified to add another knife to the collection
    Len

Interesting, my GF is scared of my knives and won't touch them or learn how to use them. She uses (exclusively) I kid you not, a forschner serrated tomato/paring knife with a rounded point for essentially everything. It's painful to watch her use it on tasks it was never intended but I have learned to keep my mouth shut..

My advice: is figure out what she really wants and then do it, in the long run it works out the best

People shouldn't use eachother's knives, it's like fountain pens, they got set to the user. At least you may try this story. And get her a few decent blades, adapted to her hands...

My wife doesn't use mine - I do most all of the cooking and she makes the fruit shakes, etc. She has several decent knives including a Shun santoku to use. It's really better that way and she has gotten into the habit of drying them after use. I think my 270's are too intimidating and that's a good thing IMO.

My wife is terrified to use any of my larger blades. She got me a 240 Misono UX10 for Xmas a few years ago, she liked the look of it so I picked up a petty for her to use, she loves it. She is also very good about maintaining it and will remind me when the edge doesn't feel 100%. Makes for a very happy arrangement.

My Other half won't touch my knives, but since I got them, I end up doing most of the prep work, so she is delighted.

I enjoy it, and she enjoys having everything ready.

Wait, how do you guys get your sig others to cook? Mine says thats what I'm here for...
    It is our human duty to enjoy life. We’ve got to be greedy about living. We learned that greed is a vice, but that’s old. Greed is a virtue. Especially this greediness for life.

Buy a 210 gyuto that isn't a laser, like tojiro dp or something. Sharpen it like you would any of your other knives. Trust when I say your gf will gravitate toward that. 8" gyuto is ideal for an inexperienced home user.

My gf is intimidated by anything longer than that......cue jokes.

Your babies will remain safe. Well maybe she'll use your petty also as it's small and nimble.

i have a few small Shuns and L'economie knives set up for my wife. other than my Tojiro ITK bread knife, she is content to just use those. i would pick up a couple of decent knives for her.