Quantcast
So the GF wants to use my knives... - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: So the GF wants to use my knives...

^^ single guy?

Quote Originally Posted by zitangy View Post
    Balance of Power.. To me this is what it is all about.

Doesnt mean that yu share my pillow that you can use my very personal things. Yes knives falls under that category.

I use to have ladies over for meals.. Doing cooking, serving food to ladies based on my personal experience screws up the thin invisible dividing line of "who is the boss" or at least ...an equal relationship. Thus these days, when I cook and do the buying and prep work and cook and bring it to the table, after eating, I will take a shower and do my other things. This way at least in my eyes.. it rebalances teh " one upmanship".

Psychologically.... there is some basis to this.. I think.

Used to have ladies telling others that I am their personal chef!.. meaning their kitchen slave. I cook no more and when I do cook.. they know that it is a treat and not their right.

There may be other ways to .. " rebalance the seat of an equal relationship " or power..

Always...... have fun and stay sharp..
    D
    There certainly is, and it's 500 miles from where you think.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by zitangy View Post
    Balance of Power.. To me this is what it is all about.

Doesnt mean that yu share my pillow that you can use my very personal things. Yes knives falls under that category.

I use to have ladies over for meals.. Doing cooking, serving food to ladies based on my personal experience screws up the thin invisible dividing line of "who is the boss" or at least ...an equal relationship. Thus these days, when I cook and do the buying and prep work and cook and bring it to the table, after eating, I will take a shower and do my other things. This way at least in my eyes.. it rebalances teh " one upmanship".

Psychologically.... there is some basis to this.. I think.

Used to have ladies telling others that I am their personal chef!.. meaning their kitchen slave. I cook no more and when I do cook.. they know that it is a treat and not their right.

There may be other ways to .. " rebalance the seat of an equal relationship " or power..

Always...... have fun and stay sharp..
    D

Wow, I don't even know where to start with that one...
    You have a very different view of what it means to cook for someone than I do.

Personally, I think that being responsible for feeding someone and being responsible for teaching someone are both positions of power. They require trust and a relinquishment of control on the part of the consumer / student.

Plus, I have yet to meet a girl who's not impressed by knife skills. If "looking like a bada$$" is priority, then casually blasting though a perfect fine dice with a 270 while sipping wine, and chatting is a pretty quick way to accomplish that.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Just got my wife her own, a gesshin ginga 180 petty in stainless. Its thin and light, like a feather. She loves it, and is not intimidated by its size. So I guess, I am recommending getting her one of her own

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    Wow, I don't even know where to start with that one...
    You have a very different view of what it means to cook for someone than I do.

Personally, I think that being responsible for feeding someone and being responsible for teaching someone are both positions of power. They require trust and a relinquishment of control on the part of the consumer / student.

Plus, I have yet to meet a girl who's not impressed by knife skills. If "looking like a bada$$" is priority, then casually blasting though a perfect fine dice with a 270 while sipping wine, and chatting is a pretty quick way to accomplish that.
    i see where you are going with this..i'll take it further. i do MOST of the cooking at my home. for my wife and i. do i feel resentful?..HECK NO! i love cooking, and i love feeding my lovely wife great food. the look on her face when she eats something new and delish, that i am experimenting with....worth EVERYTHING.

there is no power struggle in my relationship with my wife. same with any of my past girlfriends. i do things, and there are no strings attached. ever.

my knife skills? not sure if my wife has even seen me dice an onion.

Quote Originally Posted by JanusInTheGarden View Post
    Wait, how do you guys get your sig others to cook? Mine says thats what I'm here for...
    I'm told a big reason I am here is the food!

+ Reply to Thread