Thread: Another Kanji ID Needed

Another Kanji ID Needed

Calling on the wealth of the Kanji KKF brain!!

I just picked up this vintage piece out of an estate sale on the bay and was trying to figure out - who, what, when where or how about it. I wasn't familiar with it, but for some reason had to take it. Any thoughts / translations deeply appreciated.
    Name:  knife two.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  11.6 KBName:  knife one.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  13.1 KBName:  knife three.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  9.1 KB

beautiful hand done kanji there. have you tried the kanji reader that Mari posted about?
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

a house brand of "Stores Isuke Kikuichi"(菊一伊助商店) a small cutlery Sharpening shop located at kanagawa. the top two kanji are " 鎌倉"(kanagawa) a city name in Japan. bottom two kanji are"菊一"= Kikuichi; however, its different company from "菊一文珠四郎包永 -Kikuichi cuterly". Kikuichi is very common name use in Japan! the knives from "Stores Isuke Kikuichi"(菊一伊助商店) around $120~250! here is store website. hope this will help!!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Hi hi,

It says "Kamakura Kikuichi" on the knife. I suppose its from the Kikuichi in Kamakura? I don't know if its the same brand or a different one, but it might be a really old kikuichi, before their little flower logo.

On the box it says "Oryouri-bocho" which means cooking knife, and "tokuatsurae hontanzo" which means specially made hammered steel.

Hope this helps!

Thanks to both of you. The kanji is quite exquisite and I really like the blade itself. I wish I had the same feel for the handle. The buffalo horn is loose and the handle is really small in my big hands so I am debating holding on to the knife or giving it some bling. My understanding was that the gentlemen that owned it previously worked in Japan on a regular basis from post WWII until he retired. I wish I could have found out more, that type of history always fascinates me.

Mari is right, (鎌倉) is "Kamakura" city. "kanagawa" I pose is county(神奈川縣) I mix-up two place.....However, I'm sure the Yanagi is made by "Stores Isuke Kikuichi"(菊一伊助商店) it is very old shop, they just celebrate 100 years old anniversary not long ago!! here is picture of santoku made by "Stores Isuke Kikuichi"(菊一伊助商店).....same kanji!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Korin_Mari View Post
    Hi hi,

It says "Kamakura Kikuichi" on the knife. I suppose its from the Kikuichi in Kamakura.......
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!