8" Global Chef Knife damaged by coconut

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liquidsense

Reaction score
A drunk friend took my Global chef knife during a party and tried to hack a coconut open. The multiple blows made the blade edge suffer some minor dimpling and waving. The damage occurred right in the cutting sweet spot about 1/3 of the way down from the handle and, despite that the damage appears minor, it has a major affect on cutting quality.

Is there any way for me to salvage the knife? Without the benefit of grinders or even a whetstones, is there something I can do or some place that I can take the knife to get it repaired? (I just use metal and ceramic sharpening rods.)

ppOfGfel.jpg
7fk1yNQl.jpg

BUxzZ4d.jpg
gAnLow7.jpg

diamon plate and recut a new bevel...or if its not crazy you could just sharpen it out

That ain't nothing. My Global G-2 met synthetic countertop; I fixed it pretty quickly. But, you do need at least a whetstone to fix the edge.

Where are you at?

I'm located in Chicago. I'm also a complete novice when it comes to any sharpening. I'm great with the rod, but that's not saying much, nor is it really sharpening, I suppose. What's the best way for me to find someone that can help me sharpen a blade? Are there such things as knife shops that will sharpen blades? (I'm guessing there must be. I've just never needed one.)

That's pretty minor. Sharpen it out. The knife will survive. Had there been major chipping you might be in possession of a future custom sujihiki. LOL.
I've been there. I had a chef who drunkenly tried the ol' samurai trick with a squash stem. The knife did not like that. A very deep 1/2" wide chip was taken out of the edge. I took it to a belt sander and converted what had been a very nice chef's knife into a slicer.
I also did a major repair job on a friend's gyuto which inadvertently got together with his garbage disposal. I had to remove a lot of metal from that one before it was good again, but it did live to cut another day.
Pull out the stones, you'll be able to get it squared away.

Start a new post "chicago newbie needs sharpening help". Somebody will fix it up for you for a sixer of good beer.

You're in Chicago? If no one on the forums is able to help, take it to Northwestern Cutlery. They'll be able to sort it out for you. They're on Lake Street a couple doors west of Halsted in what was the market/meatpacking district. They'll surely be able to fix you up.

Just sharpen her up. Start with a low grit 400-500 until most of the waves/checks are gone. Hit the 1k until they are barely visible. Then hit the 5-6k and finish with a strop. That looks like a 20 minute job.

The guy that runs this forum is supposed to be good at this stuff...

Heh!

But seriously- send it to Dave(the guy who runs this forum), Japaneseknifesharpening.com.

You're in Chicago? If no one on the forums is able to help, take it to Northwestern Cutlery. They'll be able to sort it out for you. They're on Lake Street a couple doors west of Halsted in what was the market/meatpacking district. They'll surely be able to fix you up.

I just came across them on Yelp moments before I read your post. I think that will be a great solution. Thanks, Miles.

Start a new post "chicago newbie needs sharpening help". Somebody will fix it up for you for a sixer of good beer.

Thanks man. I will look into it if Northwestern Cutlery doesn't work out.

first thing I would do is punch my friend in the nuts.

Did this once when a SOBER freind dropped a vintage K-Sab and broke the handle. He never touched my knives again, lol, and picked up a bar tab that night. Double score.

+1 on a new thread

A friend tried once to open a coconut with a usuba. the damn thing delaminated between jigane and hagane.

hope your global gets the repair it deserves

A friend tried once to open a coconut with a usuba. the damn thing delaminated between jigane and hagane.

hope your global gets the repair it deserves

That deserves more than a punch to the nuts.

Difficult to recall. But, I believe, with my assistance, coconut water was acquired. I doubt we would have given up.

So, I went to Northwestern Cutlery and, wow, this thing is sharper than ever. I will say, however, that the it seems that the angles are slight different now. I'm a total newb when it comes to sharpening, but I always thought that the left edge (when cutting) was straight and right edge was angled towards the left. Now, it almost seems like the point is directly in the center of the blade.

Just for future reference use the back of a cleaver, a few taps as all it needs.

The Global G2 has a slight asymmetry, 60/40. If sharpened properly, the difference with a symmetric edge isn't very obvious.

Glad to hear they sorted it out for you. They're good folks. Used to shop there often when I lived in Chicago. Always make a point of stopping in whenever I'm in town.
A symmetric edge shouldn't cause any troubles. Use and enjoy!

Back