Quantcast
san-mai vs monosteel - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: san-mai vs monosteel

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post

But I do have the impression that my Shun which has VG-10 core clad with stainless damascus is simply too weak (or easy to bend and and soft) - possibly because the core is too thin. The Yoshikane knives that I have just bought are much stronger (although slightly thicker).
    Have you actually bent your Shun, or is this just an impression?

Will, that is great information, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Have you actually bent your Shun, or is this just an impression?
    Not much, but yes I did - when I was trying (with bare hands and I am no Hercules either) to see how strong it is. It did not take much effort to bend the knife AND not much of bending angle. It did not take much effort to straighten it back either. When I compare this blade to my 20 Euro Mora 2000 (19c27) - whose blade is barely thicker - it is worlds apart.

Later I had a very similar in size, shape and design (stainless core with stainless damascus cladding) knife from German producer in hand and it was even worse. And the knife was more than 100 euro (6" pairing blade).

i hate layered blades, no feedback, just a dead thunk. like driving a big slow automatic transmission mobile vs a porsche.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post

Umm and it look purty....did I mention that
    i agree

one day burke you will be mine

and will that was a great post.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    i hate layered blades, no feedback, just a dead thunk. like driving a big slow automatic transmission mobile vs a porsche.
    I'm curious which San Mai knives you have used? I've personally not found this to be the case... But I guess everyone has there own opinion
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

now if it was san mai'd like that, high up, then the thickness wouldn't be much of a problem and probably even the "muted" qualities might get to be brought out again from thinning it that way.

SanMai something along this line could be just fine ... not exactly a kitchen knife though

(from Burt Foster)

SanMai something along this line could be just fine ... not exactly a kitchen knife though
    reminds me of dave's work on thinned hiromoto AS sujis/gyuto.

also of another non-kitchen knife maker from another forum.... claudio of CAS

I haven't used a ton of clad blades, but the ones I have used have been noticeably stiffer vs monosteel knives of comparable thickness. I haven't noticed a discernible difference in feel between the two, but I haven't really been looking for it. I like less flex in my blades, and I appreciate the ability of cladding to allow a slightly harder tempered cutting edge with less brittleness throughout the whole blade.

I appreciate that my new 300mm suji is pretty stiff due to the San Mai construction, but without having to be too thick to maintain the stiffness. But in the end, I really don't let mono vs San Mai have very much say in whether or not ill buy a knife because there are just too many other more meaningful factors to consider, IMHO.

In terms of cutting performance, there should be no difference, however, a thinly ground sanmai knife could be bent and stay bent, while monosteel will flex back. For me it is a major factor choosing one over the other. On thicker knives like yanagi, deba and others, bending or warping is only an issue if heat treatment is not at its best, but those could be straightened (in most cases).

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

+ Reply to Thread