Trying to get a Handle on things...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefdog

Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to score one of Marko's practice knives from the last batch, a 225 suji/petty. But, unfortunately, his practice knives are sold sans handle, so now I need some guidance as to where to turn to get the kind of handle I want.

I'd rather not spend a couple hundred bucks on the fancy burls and exotic materials that seem to be the norm around here. Something more working class and understated is what I'm looking for. I really like the tapered ferrule that Marko is using, and would really like to get the ferrule done in linen or canvas micarta so it has some grip. Actually, I wouldn't be opposed to the whole thing being done in micarta, although I have no idea how the cost of this compares to wood??? Bottom line is: D-shaped, with some texture, tapered ferrule, function & affordability taking precedence over looks. I can probably attach the handle myself with epoxy, but could probably just have the knife shipped directly from Marko to have the handle attached.

So, who should I talk to? I know there are several guys around here who do amazing stuff with the fancy burls and exotic materials, but where should I look for a simpler, cheaper option in aftermarket handles?

Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated. Or if anyone would like to offer their services, a PM is welcome.
Thanks.

I can't say enough good things about Mike Henry, but most of his are octagonal. He is extremely affordable and a pleasure to work with. Stefan may have something already made that Dave could mount for you as well. Any Marko deserves a nice handle.

I would go with a burned chestnut if you want simple, understated, and not overly expensive, but it will not have the tapered ferrule...Maxim sells them, but the shipping cost may kill you. Not sure if Jon at JKI sells them, but it would not hurt to send him a PM just to check.

I can't say enough good things about Mike Henry, but most of his are octagonal. He is extremely affordable and a pleasure to work with. Stefan may have something already made that Dave could mount for you as well. Any Marko deserves a nice handle.

I second Stefan, he is great to work with, but I believe his current wait time is several months.

Thanks guys.
I do like the feel of burnt chestnut, but it'll cost more to ship from Maksim than the handle. I think I need to have someone make me a handle to get exactly what I want instead of buying an off-the-shelf handle. I'm willing to pay for a custom made handle, I just don't need the high end materials, and am interested in exploring the possibilities of using micarta as part of the handle. I really like the grip and feel of it, and Also the idea of non-traditional materials for what is otherwise a pretty traditional style handle.

Maybe try Randy Haas aka HHH. I seem to remember him doing something funky in some non traditional materials not too long ago.

Thanks guys.
I do like the feel of burnt chestnut, but it'll cost more to ship from Maksim than the handle. I think I need to have someone make me a handle to get exactly what I want instead of buying an off-the-shelf handle. I'm willing to pay for a custom made handle, I just don't need the high end materials, and am interested in exploring the possibilities of using micarta as part of the handle. I really like the grip and feel of it, and Also the idea of non-traditional materials for what is otherwise a pretty traditional style handle.

Jon (of JKI) should be back from his trip today or tomorrow. Why not wait until you can talk to him. He has ho, iichi, as well as burnt chestnut.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/knife-rehandling

Ok, I think this may have sorted itself out already :bliss: You gotta love the good folks on this forum.
I don't want to give up all the details, but rest assured you'll see the end result once it's in my hands.

Thanks to those of you who jumped in with help.

Latest posts

Back