Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: discoloring of onions, blackness

I am not sure if this will work for the knife in question, but this method does work well for all of my carbon knives. When I get a new knife I scrub any patina off with Comet after each use, after some time it will stop forming patina, or at a very slowed rate, and essentially prevent bad reactions with food. The white2 gyuto I have been using for everything lately shows almost no patina, does not react badly, and it has been months since I have scrubbed any patina off.

It does help to keep a damp towel next to your board for wiping the blade.

"Tojiro Shirogami"

I've had a few of these roll through the shop, they've all been rusty and stinky. The owners all asked what to do about this and I advised to buy a new knife because I can't believe the problem will stop. I feel the cladding is just too reactive for use as a kitchen knife.

not to sound like a broken record here, but i've used all variety of knives in both home and professional environments (including cheap carbon and very reactive knives)... if you work like i explain in the video, its not really a problem. Stainless makes your life easier, as do less reactive carbons, but pretty much anything should be fine if you pay attention to what you do.

-Jon

I'm not sure what the steel is, but the Suien gyuto I got from Jon has been surprisingly unreactive. I do wipe it down regularly, but it really is an easy going carbon. I just touched it up before dinner and took the patina off the edge, and the first onion discolored just a little bit. But after that, it was back to normal. Cut some tomatoes and a lime, then had to walk away and grab the kid in a hurry. The knife sat with lime juice for several minutes and there was no noticeable reaction.
    Whatever it is, this carbon is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    I'm not sure what the steel is, but the Suien gyuto I got from Jon has been surprisingly unreactive. I do wipe it down regularly, but it really is an easy going carbon. I just touched it up before dinner and took the patina off the edge, and the first onion discolored just a little bit. But after that, it was back to normal. Cut some tomatoes and a lime, then had to walk away and grab the kid in a hurry. The knife sat with lime juice for several minutes and there was no noticeable reaction.
    Whatever it is, this carbon is great.
    +1. I am also a big fan of this knife. My experience is very similar to yours. It's an impressive steel for what it is. I'm going to start recommending this knife as a budget knife in the future.

My recommendation for the OP is to follow Jon's advice along with getting a better quality knife from a different maker if he really wants to stick with carbon. Sometimes in life you have to up the ante in order to come out ahead.

+1 to what Jon said.

However, the other thing that I've noticed really cuts down / eliminates over-reactivity is etching.
    Shigefuesa is notorious for using a very soft and very reactive iron cladding and this completely stopped the stinking on mine.

Here's a great post from Dave:
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...-amp-Re-Etchng

Can can also try soaking it in hot (boiling) white vinegar if you want to just try something simple that you likely have lying around the house first:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRtEPDzCa2A
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded