Quantcast
Risotto
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Risotto

Risotto

I have never made it before. I just bought some Arborio rice and am ready to give it a shot. Any tips, receipes, ect from the experianced members here?

Thanks

John

I am just a home cook and will defer to the chefs out there, but i can tell you this: It's not as hard as you think. Sweat some onion and then some garlic in plenty of butter or butter plus olive oil. Add a cup of rice and stir to coat each grain, then about a teaspoon of salt. Stir in some heated stock a ladleful at a time, adding more when you can see the bottom of the pan. Be enthusiastic, as the rice needs to get some of its coat beaten off. I use a wooden spoon. In about ten to fifteen minutes, the rice grains will be crunchy when you bite into one. At this point, stir in another ladle, turn the heat to the lowest possible setting, cover the pot with a kitchen towel and a tight lid, and finish up the rest of your dinner. At the last minute, add some Parmesan and serve.

The amount of stock will vary with the age of the rice and other factors, but it is usually about two cups for me. This serves four.

This is just the basic version. Mushrooms, peas, lemon zest, bits of ham, or pretty much what you have tasty and leftover can be stirred in.

A thousand years of Italian mammas can't be wrong!

Love Risotto, takes some time, but isn't too hard, just go slow and keep adding in the stock. we make a few variations but all work well. meaty, spicy, veggie, or even subtle, all tasty

This is a pretty good read. I have tried traditional and this recipe, they are both good.

i used to cook risotto all the time. haven't been cooking it recently.

I love to make risotto using the dried wild mushroom mix you can get from Costco. You steep them in hot water and strain the liquid tea to get rid of grit. Then you can dice the rehydrated mushrooms for use in the risotto and use the mushroom tea instead of stock using 77kath's method above. Very tasty with roast chicken, pork tenderloin or veal chops.

mince your onions,and cook them over low heat slowly in oil, not butter. Use grapeseed oil or other non-flavor oil. you'll be adding plenty of butter towards the end, with cheese and other goodies. Sweet the onions slowly, let them develop their sugary sweetness. Do Not allow them to brown or caramelize. Just let them patiently sweeten up, stirring every so often, scraping the bottom of the pan. this sweetness you're getting adds so much to the final product. A lot of people rush this step. Shame shame. You'll know when they are ready by tasting them. Taste sweet? Crank up the great, get the oil a bubbling and add your grain. Stir that grain until it's coated in hot fat, making sure not to brown or stick to the pot. Dash of some good salt here along with a bay leaf or 2. stir in a bit of white wine and allow to be absorbed by the hot grain.. then on to warm stock

This will be wonderful! I think the wine adds a lot.

Cool thread...

My wife just brought me a couple of bags of the good stuff and have been wondering how to cook it! I love risotto.

finish with butter and shredded parmigiano (plenty of it)