Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Risotto

The reason it's gotten knocked for being difficult is really because it forces you to stand there and stir it. The stirring assures proper creaminess and consistency. On Top Chef and such, they often try to make risotto while doing ten other things, and the grains wind up being cooked in different variances of doneness; a big no no; hence the curse.

I used to work for Paul Bartolotta (of the battle risotto/ Iron Chef). In their restaurants they have a risotto station, where one guy makes only risotto, ala minute.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Good tips... thanks NO Chop! going to look out for that for sure.. yes it does get a bit of a rap (I Like your curse analogy! my kind of writing).

Any perticularily good recipes on the web we can use? (With portions, quantities, etc.) One thats tested and that you really like?

Interesting variations?

Thanks to all!

much more awesomer
    Along with more traditional recipes (plain, mushroom, Milanese), I've tried a couple of traditional-but-more-special variations like pear and strawberry, both of which work really well with Taleggio cheese. Another specialized variation is asparagus with Brie. Lately, though, I've been in love with bon appetit's Bacon and Leek Risotto with Poached Egg. Oh my.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Ill look onto it... Thanks!

Making a well flavoured home made stock makes a big difference.Buy a good rice,I prefer Carnaroli but it is expensive. Also when you add the butter and the Parmesan, take the pan off the heat before you stir it in.

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    I used to work for Paul Bartolotta (of the battle risotto/ Iron Chef). In their restaurants they have a risotto station, where one guy makes only risotto, ala minute.

i found you really dont need to constantly stir it. i sometimes just give the saucier a shake or two.

I tried it last night for the first time with portabello's and made the stock from the chicken bones from chicken ballotine (another first that I learned of here). I think it came out pretty good. Definitely will add it to the rotation.

Thanks for the help,

John

I dont know how good this one is...

Then package says:

Confezione Sottovuoto
    1000g, 35oz.
    Molino di Borgo S, Dalmazzo
    Risso Superfino Arborio

I got a combo of Porcini, oyster and shiitake dried mushrooms...

I was thinking of doing a Barolo risotto and a Shrimp risotto.

wonder how that will turn out!