Quantcast
Risotto - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Risotto

+1 to the carnaroli as opposed to arborio,
    I especially like it in the restaurant; it doesnt overcook as easily.
    never had the opportunity to try vialone nano.

The traditional rices are nice to learn the technique, but once you get it you can sub like crazy. Pecan rice, farro, and and small diced potatoes are my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Dardeau View Post
    The traditional rices are nice to learn the technique, but once you get it you can sub like crazy. Pecan rice, farro, and and small diced potatoes are my favorites.
    nice!!

toasted noodles kick butt too!! fideo.

much more awesomer
    I tend to use finely diced (dried, or French) shallots instead of onions in risotto. I find the flavors much more subtle, yet noticeable. I also don't tend to use garlic unless a recipe specifically calls for it, but most traditional risotti don't. Certainly I would avoid garlic in any of the sweeter combinations (fruits, berries, etc.).
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

much more awesomer
    Oh, and extra-dry vermouth instead of regular white wine makes a statement, too. It's "there" but tasters can't quite figure it out. I use it in almost all recipes that call for dry white.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

gotta find me some vermouth then =D

japanese Sake doesnt suck either..

Made the Risotto Barolo with Fungi yesterday with spectacular results...

Thanks for the advice, specially things like.... removing the rice from the heat a bit before adding the parmesan and adding a lot of parmesan.

Here are a couple things I did and/or learned while making this dish:
    - Yes... a lot of parmesan
    - Remove it from the heat before adding the cheese
    - I used a Copper pot lined with stainless to help change the the temperature quicker and it helped quite a bit.
    - Drain the fungi and strained the grind that comes from them to avoid them getting to the dish.
    - Used a dried 3 mushroom combo to give it some character and depth (Porcini mainly).
    - Removing the dish while its still a bit al dente to avoid it getting overly mushy.
    - Use some of the mushroom stock as well, combine some of the chicken of vegetable stock with the mushroom if you can.
    - Dont put too much salt on the dish while cooking, the parmesan will compensate later.
    - Leave the mushrooms in.

Here are some pictures of the process..
    Eat to live? -> live to eat... but as long as we are at it... eat very, very well!