Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Issues! Defect/Minor Issue/Character

Biggest Issues! Defect/Minor Issue/Character

Is It a defect/Minor Issue/Character

A while ago there was some controversy regarding what a "quality" knife was, It got me thinking about the definition of what a quality product is, Juran Defines it as the development (providing) of products that meet customers needs.

So what are customers needs?

I thought that it is very important to understand what are the needs, requirements and expectations for customers....but it proves very difficult in practice, mainly because each of us has a different idea of whats important (profile, finish, uniqueness, etc. )... that got me thinking that maybe we can understand what a FLAW is and go from there.... so I thought maybe these 3 categories might help!

1) What is a defect?
    2) What is a minor issue
    3) What is just plain character
    (Wabi-sabi) (Something beautiful and unique)

Here is my take on a bunch of occurrences, So...what are your biggest peeves and where do they land? here is a start/idea... maybe Im completely off, what do you think?

DEFECT

Irregularity in sizing between knives (for non customs)
    Gash in wood (not filled)
    Big hole in damascus pattern
    Gap between blade and handle on wa's
    Major fit and finish issues (pertruding tang)
    A Clunker (As Dave would call it in a previous post)
    De-lamination of blade or finish.
    Major fit and finish issues (What are those?)

MINOR

Handle not completely symmetrical (When it was supposed to be)
    Gash in wood (Filled)
    Blade discoloration
    Handle Shrinkage
    Small fit and finish issues (A pertruding pin)
    Off centered pin?
    Small gap between tang and wood
    Crooked blade (Fixable)
    Not properly tapered (Disproportionately)
    Food sticks to blade? (Or is this a characteristic? not sure..)

CHARACTER

Planned variation on color of wood
    Variations on Kanji
    Variations in damascus (Minor?)
    Wood character

And finally
    Is there a difference and does there need to be a distinction between customs and production knives for this? and must there be a distinction between Wa and YO for this as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Customfan View Post
    Is It a defect/Minor Issue/Character

DEFECT

Irregularity in sizing between knives (for non customs)So, handmade knives, Takeda for example, non custom, but definitely variation is a major flaw?
    Gash in wood (not filled)
    Big hole in damascus pattern
    Gap between blade and handle on wa's I was under the impression this was sometimes done on purpose, maybe I misunderstand what you mean
    Major fit and finish issues (pertruding tang)like a cck? I have never seen this one
    A Clunker (As Dave would call it in a previous post)
    De-lamination of blade or finish.

MINOR

Small wood discoloration (not planned) Natural woods will always have some discoloration
    Gash in wood (Filled)again, working with natural product, some with high figure are going to have scratches, small cracks and voids
    Blade discoloration
    Handle Shrinkage just a fact of life, its gonna happen, even with stabilized wood, I don't view this as a defect
    Small fit and finish issues (A pertruding pin)a result of shrinkage
    Off centered pin?agree
    Small gap between tang and wood agree, although this can be the result of shrinkage too, for me it would depend
    Crooked blade (Fixable)

CHARACTER

Planned variation on color of wood
    Variations on Kanji
    Variations in damascus (Minor?)
    Wood character

And finally
    Is there a difference and does there need to be a distinction between customs and production knives for this? and must there be a distinction between Wa and YO for this as well?
    I think there should be a distinction, not always as a result of production v. custom, but of price, the more I pay, the more I expect. Wa's and Yo's should be similar, imo

Interesting! thats what I was going for, finding out what is considered normal and what isnt? any you want to add?

On the gap between blade and handle I meant actual holes in the installation.. not machi.

On pertruding Tang I was thinking the metal part pertruding from the handle when it shouldn't, kind of like a premature shrinkage but big time!

I completely agree on the character of wood... Its natural, therefore almost imposible to predict

Now... any on stabilization?
    how about issues like chipping and those associated with hardness or treatment?
    How about retention and toughness? is that an issue or just a characteristic?

I consider grind issues, depending on fixability, to fall into these categories as well.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

damn shrinkage.....

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    I consider grind issues, depending on fixability, to fall into these categories as well.
    +1
    a real issue is one I can't address - and nobody can, such as a serious overgrind.

Do women even know about shrinkage?

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by eshua View Post
    Do women even know about shrinkage?
    Like a frightened turtle.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    +1
    a real issue is one I can't address - and nobody can, such as a serious overgrind.
    This I agree with... uncorrectable/unfixable is a defect, while what can be addressed is a flaw...

Where do guys think bends/warping belong?