Japanese Knives LA Times Article

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow Jon.... Big leagues.....

"thy knife wisperer". :thumbsup:

Congratulations, very nice!

Whoa! DUDE!!! Nice!!! From none other than SIV. I would have figured Russ Parsons would have done it, but that's awesome!

Congratulations, Jon and Sara!

Whoa! DUDE!!! Nice!!! From none other than SIV. I would have figured Russ Parsons would have done it, but that's awesome!

she also ended up with a gesshin heiji at the end of the day ;)

Great article. Congratulations. See if you can Morimoto to ditch his nenohi and get some real tools.

Congrats! You guys really deserve this and much more for your level of service and products.

I shall not open this article or step foot into this wonderful shop until I am paid back the 5 yen that I let you borrow in Osaka back in 1985.....this shop owner IS Jonson Broidacovich correct?

Sooo...you aren't 6'6".....long red hair.....freckles......missing a left eyebrow.....Scientologist?

Whew, boy did I get that wrong. All well, who new there was a Japanese shop right around the corner from me. With L.A traffic, it should only roughly take me 2.5 to 3 hours to get there. Any plans on changing your store hours to 7 days a week, 10am to 10pm? I think that would be a great business decision. Not that I ever owned a business, just saying.

Congrats Jon. I don't think there is one person on this forum who has dealt with you that has not (1) thought you (and Sara) deserve this and (2) has not expected that this type of recognition would eventually come. Bravissimo.

With that said, I am not from the LA area and mhlee made reference to SIV (S. Irene Virbila). Is she the s**t?

k.

Congrats Jon. I don't think there is one person on this forum who has dealt with you that has not (1) thought you (and Sara) deserve this and (2) has not expected that this type of recognition would eventually come. Bravissimo.

With that said, I am not from the LA area and mhlee made reference to SIV (S. Irene Virbila). Is she the s**t?

k.

K -

You're correct. "SIV" is short for S. Irene Virbila, the former long time food critic of the LA times.

Food critic duties were taken over by Jonathan Gold last year, but SIV continues to write for the LA Times. She had a mixed reputation as a critic and was kicked out of Red Medicine restaurant by the chef when she went to review that restaurant because of issues with a previous review she did that was critical of a previous restaurant that the chef worked at.

She's usually a "matter of fact" person, and now generally does wine and restaurant recommendations, but her second article was unique. The tone was different to me (compared to other articles she's written) and more personal than other articles she's written about stores she's visited. I think she was very impressed and happy with her experience. (She previously did an article about Hitachiya, a Japanese kitchen goods store and there is no second, separate article about her experience purchasing a item at that store.)

She had a mixed reputation as a critic and was kicked out of Red Medicine restaurant by the chef when she went to review that restaurant because of issues with a previous review she did that was critical of a previous restaurant that the chef worked at.

LOL, I remember reading about that. There was speculation that it would end her food review career because of her cover being blown. I think that particular chef started warning other restaurants and chefs about her and started passing her picture around.

Jon, you don't have to worry about tomorrow, I don't think. I could be wrong, but I believe it's the day after the article gets released that the fun will begin. I've seen restaurants get pretty crazy after an L.A Times review firsthand. But since tomorrow is Saturday it could be different. But then again, it is Venice, and the parking generally does suck. Maybe more of a small unruly crowd rather than a blood thirsty mob. I kinda want to avoid your shop because of it for the next couple of weekends to avoid the mess, but I gotta stop by just once to see the results for myself. Maybe you could post a short video or a picture of your shop to gloat a little.

Jon, you don't have to worry about tomorrow, I don't think. I could be wrong, but I believe it's the day after the article gets released that the fun will begin. I've seen restaurants get pretty crazy after an L.A Times review firsthand. But since tomorrow is Saturday it could be different. But then again, it is Venice, and the parking generally does suck. Maybe more of a small unruly crowd rather than a blood thirsty mob. I kinda want to avoid your shop because of it for the next couple of weekends to avoid the mess, but I gotta stop by just once to see the results for myself. Maybe you could post a short video or a picture of your shop to gloat a little.

I think we should get a mob of people to all go to JKI on Sunday. ;)

I think we should get a mob of people to all go to JKI on Sunday. ;)

And everyone bring a bag full of Henckels and Wusthof Classics with random chips and bent tips for Jon to fix and sharpen. Then slap $20 on the table and demand a same day turnaround.

Back