Quantcast
Considering taking a class in charcuterie
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering taking a class in charcuterie

Considering taking a class in charcuterie

There is a custom meat fabiricator/charcuterie an hour south of me that offers a full day class in sausage making from scratch. I'm going to inquire about the cost. Has anyone else done something like this? Is it worth while (within reason) as opposed to learning the hard way?

Are you pro? Or doing it at home?
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Home - No desire to work in another kitchen - ever.

PM me your email and I'll give you some info for free. I do charcuterie professionally. Sausage is easy and just involves some basic concepts. Be glad to share.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Grab a copy of "Charcuterie" By Ruhlman. Really good stuff in that book that's easy to follow.
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Thanks - I'll check it out.

I'm interested in this too. Mike please do share your experience if you take the class. Your post got me looking for a class here in the Seattle area.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    I'm interested in this too. Mike please do share your experience if you take the class. Your post got me looking for a class here in the Seattle area.
    I'll extend the same offer to you sir. I'm typing up a little course for Mike, and I can easily cut'n paste and send it in your direction. Maybe I'll start a charcuterie thread with some basic instructional info...

Quote Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
    Grab a copy of "Charcuterie" By Ruhlman. Really good stuff in that book that's easy to follow.
    Ruhlman and Polcyk's book is fun, but my only issue with it is that they don't use parametric recipes, which is very important with charcuterie. It's far more efficient to have base ratios to work off from than constantly cutting all your proteins to set weights and trying to find a use for scraps. They're also a bit salt heavy if I remember correctly.

So far the recipes I've tried in Charcuterie and Salumi (Ruhlmans second book on the topic) work really well with out a ton of tweaking. I'd highly suggest owning Charcuterie even if you only have a passing interest on the subject.
    For those interested in wild game there's also Websters "The Venison Sausage cookbook.
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?