Quantcast
Making Paring and Chef's Knives - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making Paring and Chef's Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    I remember being told a couple times on here that the usual grinds seen are more like partial flat grinds that are smoothed out, instead of one continuous convex.

Maybe I'm just remembering wrong all this time...
    yes, but when you look at convex grind illustration, convexing could starts as high 3/4 or as low as 1/3 above the edge. Different degree, but ultimately the same grind. True, some makers convex is up to the spine, but it is less an intention, rather than their grinding setup. Other grinds are flat - spine to edge straight line, saber (like Heiji) and others.

I think talking in terms of flat/convex(instead of blended) is a bit more clear, and clarity is what we should strive on this forum. Too many things are surrounded in clouds of vagueness.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I don't think I'd have to worry about warpage if I send the blades out for HT would I? I would still leave the edge about .05-1mm thick.

How does this step-by-step sound?

1) Shape the profile

2) Bevel pre-grind to about 0.5mm thick edge

3) Drill handle/lightning holes

4) Send out to HT

5) finish the bevels

6) Fit and shape the handle

I don't pre-grind before HT.

PS: you might have to clear with forum mods if you plan on posting pictures of you work-in-progress.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com