Quantcast
Bolster opinions? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bolster opinions?

Sometimes this iPad makes me want to throw it out the windows!!

Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

See it now. Nice brass bolster!

Aesthetically- what do you guys like in a bolster? Contrast or a smooth transition between steel and handle? I'm wondering how much of a patina the O1 will take considering the pich grip will probably slightly polish it. Not enough to give a hard contrast, but perhaps aid in the transition style appearance. Dunno if that makes sense to you guys.

-Josh
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

That was my thought when I proposed an O1 bolster. I doubt it will patina in the same way as the blade, after all it should not be touching food right? But it should naturally complement the blade . I would imagine over time an O1 bolster will discolor and provide a nice transition between the handle and the blade, less dramatic than say brass, nickel silver or even black G10. I would almost use the word organic, but can't

-AJ

Proteins and moisture (sweat/water) would affect the steel differently I would expect. The blade would turn blue purple, the bolster would grey over time, but initially turn yellow maybe.... Chefs, any thoughts?

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

I work in a pro kitchen, and I've yet to have any experience with carbon bolsters. I just brought it up because I've noticed the part of the blade close to the bolster/ferrule has a significantly different patina.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

here's my knives that's got a carbon bolster, bought used from another member on here...a pro chef i believe... have yet to use it in a pro environment

to help maybe imagine what would happen, to have an idea

the place where one pinches the blade does have a different color patina

although different carbon steel is used on this knife.... the bolster has greyed over time, the part that one would pinch the blade is lighter and the rest of the blade has a more uniform patina....

a different type? color? patina would form because of the oils from the skin and the food particles that would probably get trapped, in between the fingers and blade face, and smooshed, then of course the consistent rubbing of the fingers on the blade face....

Truth be told I like the G10/thin stainless spacer/cocobolo scheme myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9 View Post
    Truth be told I like the G10/thin stainless spacer/cocobolo scheme myself.
    I agree. I was just throwing some ideas out there.

oils and acids in your hand will have an impact. I like with mike9's opinion, but defer to Pierre regarding comfort , function and form.

+ Reply to Thread