kanji stamp at back of knife...rust?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtyper

Reaction score
I bought a couple yoshihiro knives from ebay, both have deep stamped kanji on the back of the blades and it is orangy in there...appears to be rust. They both came that way. Its a deep stamp and there isn't really any way to clean that out without a dental pick. Whats the deal with this?

i assume they're carbon steel and might have started rusting there.....i clean all my carbon knives with just a sponge and some soap.....anytime i ever had anything rusty i use bar keeper's friend to get the rust off.....simple as that....do u know how to take care of carbon steel?.......ryan

Bkf and once the rust is gone, apply some mineral oil to the kanji after you wash and dry your knife.

Bar keepers friend. There are other products like it if you can't find it locally. Just look for stuff to polish metals.

Last edited:
I remember the "what's bkf?"question a little while ago and my good friend Thom responded with something like, "what you mean you don't keep 'bleached koala fur' around your place for emergencies?" ha :D

I remember the "what's bkf?"question a little while ago and my good friend Thom responded with something like, "what you mean you don't keep 'bleached koala fur' around your place for emergencies?" ha :D

LOL!!
Its a viscous liquid? Or a piece of equipment?

Bleached Koala Fur... lol I'd have never thunk it.

BKF is available in a powder cleanser or a liquid cleaner.

i assume they're carbon steel and might have started rusting there.....i clean all my carbon knives with just a sponge and some soap.....anytime i ever had anything rusty i use bar keeper's friend to get the rust off.....simple as that....do u know how to take care of carbon steel?.......ryan

Hi,

yes it is carbon steel. I don't have much experience with carbon steel but so far I wipe them to keep them dry as often as possible.

The problem I see is just that back section where the stamp is quite deep and wiping the knife dry still leaves it wet in the grooves. It just seems weird to me.

Also, I don't really know why that rectangular section that the stamps are in is "stainless". Can someone explain this?

Thanks guys

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Stainless tang is welded onto the blade so that there will not be rust inside the handle.

so i don't have to worry about what looks like rust in that stainless tang?

Back