Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of trying a Deba ...

Maybe I should have rather said that I am looking for a single bevel knife at around 150 - 180 mm for de-boning. Shape of the blade could be like deba but maybe not that wide (like something between deba and petty if that description makes sense).

Maybe something along the lines of the Zakuri 150mm Blue #1 Kurouchi Sabaki Bocho from Jon (that is double bevel knife though). Jon says that it was designed for de-boning.

And let's go with carbon and WA handle. I feel like it is time to have one carbon knife in the kitchen

Deba is definitely not a brute force tool. It's something which can do brutish things with proper technique. It's not a bone chopper, but a knife for breaking down fish. I occasionally use mine for chicken and duck quite successfully, but it's not the best tool for the job. Honesuki is best for poultry. The old standby Tojiro DP is my fave for serious bang for the buck performance. It's not sexy as some of the other options out there, but it just plain gets the job done at a modest cost.

yeah, I'm gonna say don't get the deba...

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    I am basically looking for an excuse to get a japanese single-bewel knife but at the same time I do de-boning here and then, just not a lot of fish work.
    Yeah, I am always looking for an excuse to buy a knife. So far I haven't found one for picking up a single bevel knife.

A honesuki/garasuki, is probably a better choice for you. Another knife to check out are those old fashioned boning knifes, that Jon carries at JKI. Honsesukis typically have an asymmetrical edge, with a few being single bevel. The Hattori FH, is one. Garasukis are usually single bevel. Tojiro has one for around a $100. Carbon ones are in the $200 - $300 range.
    t
    The excuse I used for picking up a honesuki, was how poorly my western boning knife, held its edge. Plus I wanted to try a Japanese boning knife.

At the time, the forum attitude was Honesuki's are okay, but buy a cheap one such as a Tojiro or Misono. Not expecting much, I was surprised how well it cut, especially chicken skin. Curious to see how the Japanese used the knife, I watched the videos posted on the forum, and on the web. I was struck how the Japanese made precise cuts, and then pulled the meat off the bone. It is such an efficient method, they could casually break down and debone a chicken, in less then two minutes. That is my goal. I'm far from it, but still it has been a fun challenge.

Jay

May be I should as a different question - would a single bevel knife (designed for the purpose) be less suitable for de-boning than a conventional double-bevel knife?

In other words - should I get something like the above-linked Zakuri from Jon or something else?

I think you can get the job done with the Zakuri if that's what you'd like to use, but I can't say that it would be more suitable. It's just a matter of deciding what you want to use. It does remind me a bit of some of the inexpensive Tosa country style knives that JWW carries. I picked up one when I was in SF a few years ago. I've used it for boning chickens, for cutting fruit, and for any number of small jobs over the years. Is it the one I consistently reach for when I want a boning knife? No, but can I use it for that? Sure.

Is it the best choice for the job? When I want a boning knife, I find the honesuki works very well. Although I can certainly use anything for poultry and get the job done, I strongly prefer it to a double bevel conventional boning knife. I think the Tojiro does a great job at a very reasonable price. I've never felt the need to get anything "fancier" or "nicer".

The 150mm Zakuri I got from the BST works well as a boner...I'm sure a honesuki/hankotsu works better, but I'd make the choice on cost and what other purposes I'd put it to.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I think I have pretty much settled with Zakuri 150mm Blue #1 Kurouchi Sabaki Bocho from jon which, after all, is a boning knife and the price is right too. Now it is only the question when I will be able to make that order (which grew quite a bit already)

thank you for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by jaybett View Post
    There is an idea on the forum that if a blade is thick, it is good for chopping through bones. My hunch is that a thick blade provides the base for a strong and sharp edge. Single bevel knives are an example. While a deba can go through bones, its more of knowing the right place to cut, instead of indiscriminately hacking bones.

The deba was designed to break down fish. Can it be used for other tasks? Yes, but that is like using a paint scraper as a screw driver. It does work, but is it the best choice?

The honesuki's main job, is to break down and debone chicken. The thin tip lends itself well to other tasks, where a petty might be used. People who have picked up honsukis, and used them as traditional western boning knifes, for the most part have been disappointed. They don't break down chicken any better then a western knife. The Japanese use a method where a series of cuts are made, and the meat is pulled off the bone. The Chinese have a similar method, but use a cleaver instead. Martin Yan does a demonstration, where he breaks down a chicken in 18 seconds.

Another option is to get a western boning knife in a Japanese steel. Tojiro makes one, and so does Misono. You would get the advantages of Japanese steel, in a knife, that is more versatile, then a honesuki.

Jay
    Yan w a cleaver = how the chicken did not cross the road!