what would you do ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azchef

Reaction score
So I have a question for all members here. Say you have to buy the following

Gyuto
Sujihiki
petty
knife to butcher with
honing steel
case
stones to sharpen

But you only have a $1000.00 to spend what do you get and why? I am asking this to see what everyone has to say. I look foward to the reply s

I'll leave it to others to make specific recommendations...but my personal strategy would be to make "best of breed" type purchases for the most critical items and "good enough" purchases for the rest. That way there is less to replace later on, save yourself money in the long-term.

My :2cents:

my knife case would be used cardboard with ductape....

This question is based off what my wife asked me one night. It really made me think about things

I agree with Zweifel, prioritize gyuto then stones, and then whichever you use more, suji or petty, then the rest. And depending on what you butcher, you can multitask with the petty for small fish and birds. Get a cheap messenger bag from an outlet store and some blade guards.
•Gyuto:$250-300
•Stones & Accessories: $200-$250
•Suji/Petty: $150-250
•Everything else: $200-400

Personally, I'd go heavy on gyuto, suji and stones, then cheap for everything else.

most money into the knife you will use the most.
For me most would go into Gyuto up to $400
then suji, petty - $400.
You are left with 200 to buy a combo stone or a good 1/4-6k stone system.

I'm in agreement. Spend on the gyuto, suji, stones, and then fill in the rest.
I'd probably go Suisin IH gyuto, Misono Swedish suji, Shapton 300/1k/5k set, Tojiro honesuki, Hiromoto AS petty. That should get me to about $925.00. Spend fifteen bucks on blade guards, twenty on a Mac ceramic rod, another twenty five on a basic knife roll, and I should have just enough left over for lunch. Not a particularly fancy lunch, but...
That's pretty close to my current lineup.

I think the smart money is stones, then knives. You're going to F* up your knives as you learn to sharpen them anyway. Eventually, you'll be able to get just about any sh*tty knife crazy sharp and learn about progressions and edges. Whats the point on getting a great knife if you turn around and scratch the hell out of it on the stones? Invest in teaching yourself to be the best sharpener you can.

All purpose everything gyuto: $200
Cheap petty: $45
Combo Stone: $150
Newspaper + Paper Bag: $1 gum purchase
$600 spent at my favorite Gentleman's Club: Priceless!

The suisin inox honyaki is an awesome knife....i love mine...but i think the ginga is a better value.

since were just having fun here, and since this isnt a recommendation thread ill gladly list the items i would get if i was starting from scratch tomorrow.
kochi 270mm migaki wa gyuto $340, carbonext sujihiki 300mm $154, gesshin ginga 180mm petty $180(suitable as both petty and butcher knife) any additional butchering knives i would just go cheap vintage carbon or forshner $40-60, koobi kit knife bag that holds up to 9 items $32, bester 500 1200 rika 5k for $130ish, with more or less $100 left over that i would use for sayas. no honing rod, strop instead on stones, newpaper or some other leather strop ($20). hell, if theres room in the budget maybe a cck just for kicks!

Latest posts

Back