Gap between blade and ferrule on wa-handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtyper

Reaction score
A couple knives I got have a gap in the ferrule where the blade meets the handle. Basically its like a little hole where food and water can get stuck. I find it a bit hard to dry the blade completely after it gets wet in that spot and its annoying to have to dig my towel in there to make sure it is dry.

Is this just a sign of a poorly installed handle? How common is it? Is there an easy fix? Should I squeeze some epoxy in there?

it's common on alot of japanese knives.....some have em ....some are totally flush......i guess u could squezze some epoxy in there if it really bothered you....i probably wouldn't though....ryan

A couple knives I got have a gap in the ferrule where the blade meets the handle. Basically its like a little hole where food and water can get stuck. I find it a bit hard to dry the blade completely after it gets wet in that spot and its annoying to have to dig my towel in there to make sure it is dry.

Is this just a sign of a poorly installed handle? How common is it? Is there an easy fix? Should I squeeze some epoxy in there?

its not a poorly installed handle... its an active choice to make it this way and different makers/regions have different opinions on this... some leave large gaps, some smaller, and some dont leave any at all. I personally have never found it to be a problem with regard to knife cleanliness.

I'm wondering if you might be talking about the 'machi' of the knife, and not technically a gap. If it is a gap between the tang and the handle, an option could be to rub some wax into the gap, if it causes an area for possible rust issues.

This picture might help clarify a bit: http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/jbladeant.shtml
L on that diagram is the machi from what I understand. I think the guys above are talking about the machi. I don't know if that's what you're referring to or if you mean that the hole drilled for the tang is larger than the tang itself.

I'm pretty sure he's saying that the tang is smaller than the hole in the handle for the tang. If this is the case I don't see why putting some epoxy there would hurt....

Any chance of posting a pic or two, so we can see the problem?

Latest posts

Back