Quantcast
Lamson Collaboration: Next Step - Page 11
Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Lamson Collaboration: Next Step

I'd definitely be interested in one.

i am up to two now.

I'd like to be in for one also.

Great to see you guys haven't forgotten about us!

A little update for you all: the final prototype sketch is done, and being sent to Brian at
    Lamson. We can't share the pics, because once it's out there, it's free game. However, it's all as a direct result of the group here, so it's going to be awesome!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

This is so exiting! I really just want to slap somebody right now, or moonwalk. Maybe I'll just moonwalk now, and slap somebody later...

Lefty, Just to recap so that I'm clear on what is to come. Once Lamson agrees to manufacture the blades, a 50% deposit will be required from those seeking one (or more) and then the final amount they're made?

Has the the profile, HT, steel, handle and length already been determined? I'm pretty sure we're building a low flat Chubby-Gyuto-laser with a useful tip right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    I'm pretty sure we're building a low flat Chubby-Gyuto-laser with a useful tip right?
    FTW

Just a quick rundown:

O1
    Sab inspired profile (no guard!!!)
    Wa-estern hybrid/throwback handle with cocobolo and G10 ferrule
    Approximately 3mm at the spine, with a wicked distal taper
    51mm heel height
    250mm edge length, and 380mm overall
    THIN behind the edge

Lamson is already more than on board. In fact, Brian is pumped! The deposit would have to come once the prototype has been tried out and telesales have been made (I believe).

Thanks guys! This is going to be great.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

My turn
    The drawing s complete, you all have seen the screen capture, you have also seen the handle (mock up number 2) Nothing has changed, I just did a cad drawing of it all together, place the appropriate pin holes, in the proper location, and sent it to Lamson.
    They will laser cut a few pieces, some will be used to build their grinding fixtures.
    2 will come to me to prototype. These will go on a little passaround. Once our lucky "testers"report back, one prototype will return to me, the other will go to Lamson. They will use it as the model for the build (a physical template, they can take measurements from) Brian will send me and/or Tom an initial production prototype, and then we will give our nod or wink to proceed.

The heat treat will be done at Peters, to my specs.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Shouldn't the prototypes be measured prior to passaround? There should be a decent amount of use/abuse in the passaround for these knives, and sharpening will change the knives. A pre/post passaround comparison would be interesting.

Also while I think a lot of us will want to be part of the passaround, should consider having two groups:
    1. Beta testers
    2. General passaround

The beta testers, a smaller group, will beat on the knife and run it through production work to provide valuable feedback and refinement on the knife. Once the knife has made it through the beta testers, we will have go/no-go features and decisions for manufacturing.

At this point, the prototypes can be available for general passaround.

The reason for the above structure is three folds:
    1. Beta testers have incentive to provide constructive feedback in a timely manner
    2. Limits number of testers as there are diminishing returns and will delay time to market
    3. Allow non-testers who would still very much appreciate be included in a passaround.