Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Lamson Collaboration: Next Step

You know, I've seen a couple of these projects and think it's cool but I've made a point of staying out of them. One of the reasons is because someone somewhere is going to capitalize on the expertise freely given on this or other forums. I'm not talking about Lefty, Pierre or any other craftsmen here. I'm talking about a fairly good sized company that is going to get a boat load of expert consulting for free. Maybe I'm jaded but I think someone should give thought to design protection.

I hate to bring real world stuff into this but if you're fine with the thought, more power to you.

There is some history behind my thoughts.

Salty, I love the fact that you call business what it is. A fine idea about design protection, and a lawyer may not be too expensive for something like this. I do believe that this knife could definitely wind up making it's way to a much more general though professional audience; it could wind up being something fairly valuable to those with the vested interest (Tom and Pierre) if they protect the design and follow-through with some outside marketing exposure. Makes sense to at least think this part through before an 'oh crap' moment once it's too late.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Well we all get a cut since we contributed (granted varied amounts lol). Maybe a free knife after you guys win a big copyright infringement suit :-)

There are confidentially agreements, and nondisclosure agreements drawn up. Also intellectual property laws.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    There are confidentially agreements, and nondisclosure agreements drawn up. Also intellectual property laws.
    Very good. You and Tom should have agreements in place with Lamson. While there is a lot of participation and feedback from the forum, you guys have really driven this project forward and synthesized all the comments into something that should prove quite interesting.

The platypus was designed by committee is absolutely correct. This knife was not designed by committee. Everyone gave opinions, but you put it all together as well as providing the profile design, specs, and working through the bolster/handle variations through mock ups.

Yes, a lot of people contributed. But I think a lot of it was freely given without expectation of payment. A contribution to KKF for each sale of the knife would be nice, as this project would not have happened without the forum and Dave's blessing.

Totally agree, you guys ran with it and continue to do so, good work

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    Yes, a lot of people contributed. But I think a lot of it was freely given without expectation of payment. A contribution to KKF for each sale of the knife would be nice, as this project would not have happened without the forum and Dave's blessing.

That's nice of you to think of KKF, and myself as well, but the vendors pay to advertise and do business here so what revenue they generate on a project like this will not (should not) have anything to do with the forum or myself, it's all theirs.

I do wish Pierre and Tom good luck with this project though!

I'm still excited, damn where's my delorean when I need it. There's always copycats and sometimes not much to deal with it. Lamson get off your heels this is good schtuff..

Bump!

Quote Originally Posted by Notaskinnychef View Post
    Well we all get a cut since we contributed (granted varied amounts lol). Maybe a free knife after you guys win a big copyright infringement suit :-)
    I'm not an attorney but having written a couple of books I know a little bit about copyright and here's my take (which one should take with a lot of salt). Maybe there is an IP lawyer in the forum?? First off, in the case of a collaborative work the copyright rules are extremely tricky. If this knife is considered a collaborative work, sheesh! (The problem is everybody whose ideas appear in the knife is a partial copyright holder automatically absent written agreements.)

Next, assuming the shape is distinctive enough to qualify under the sculpture category which is the only category I would think applies (although again lawyers can be awfully clever...), it's automatically copyrighted, one doesn't have to do a darn thing in the US anymore. (Although, in order to be eligible for statutory damages, which are much higher, you do have to register the copyright.)

However, I should point out (as I suspect many of us have noticed) that when I try to explain kitchen knife shapes to my friends, it seems to them knife shapes differences are very subtle and evolutionary except for something like a Kramer and I am not sure that anything but a really distinctive shape like a Kramer or a Ken Onion knife would be enough to qualify for a sculpture category copyright. Just imagining my friends on a jury, I suspect they certainly wouldn't vote to convict, unless they felt the shape was really distinctive and not just an evolution of existing designs - although a judges instructions would change that of course....

Maybe we get Lamson to say that the knife is a limited edition and may only be sold once?? That would be way cool and I would certainly buy more than the one I am committed to!