1095 vs 1084 vs 52100

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erdbeereis

Reaction score
Are any of these steels good for kitchen knives? What are the pros/cons of each steel?

I will go out on a limb and say that all 3, heat treated properly, will make great kitchen knives. All are good steels.

I will go out on a limb and say that all 3, heat treated properly, will make great kitchen knives. All are good steels.

I agree with this! I can vogue for 52100 from Marko his HT is amazing and very non reactive and rust resistant.

Mike was that deba 1095 or w2? Also I forgot what steel is the necker? I know one I used was 1095.

The deba steel was amazing, very non reactive Formed fast purple blue patina never browned or greyed over like some. Took a great edge and handled being wet very well. Burr was difficult to remove sometimes, great edge retention.

The necker is well my EDC goes with me just about everywhere, knife gets scary sharp really easily. Never had a problem with burr on this steel. It's also pretty tough. Doesn't hold edge for a super long time although for EDC it lasts a while.

I agree with Mike. I think that it depends on the smith and the user. What is a person looking for?

The 10 series of steels are going to be the most reactive. They are amongst the simplistic chemistries out there. 52100 has some chromium added which helps with corrosion resistance, but by no means is it enough to make it a worry free steel. All of these do need attention to care to ensure their longevity and best performance.

The smith and sharpener alike face the dilemma of producing a blade that will take an edge to the best of the steels ability. In the end it is up to the user to maintain it to keep/surpass the craftsmanship work. I know this is a bit much to ask of the user but the best of thing also need their attention to keep them at such a high level of performance.

Back