Damascus on Ebay

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was searching ebay and came across a rather large selection of what is labeled as Handmade damascus. The majority of these knives come from Pakistan and India and are in the price range that I would not think a handmade item would be even if it is from Pakistan and India. Most of the knives are visually striking I am just scared of the quality since you almost always get what you pay for. Curious if any one has purchased any of these or just has thoughts on them. My first thought is to buy a clever that way I can see the quality and not be put out if it is low since a clever is not a precise instrument. Any thoughts would be apreciated.

Do a search, and I think you will find where somone took a chance on one of these last year and the blade required a ton of work by one of the custom knifemakers to get it anywhere close to useful. Plus I htink the hardness was pretty low, so it did not hold an edge too well.

aside from being thick and rough

it's a random crapshoot.

you'll get more chances of getting crappy stuff than getting good or decently made steel.

either they're too soft to hold an edge or they're too brittle and chips a lot.

Back