Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Highest wear resistant stainless S125V is coming

Highest wear resistant stainless S125V is coming

I've ordered a small amount of a S125V to try. This is, as far as I know, the most wear resistant stainless steel out there. It is made by Crucible. It is a PM grade. This stuff is very difficult to work, very expensive, and hard to get. We'll try some and see how it holds up in the kitchen.

We have had very good feed back on some other super wear resistant steels that we've tried. All of the SWRS probably should be sharpened on a diamond stone, or at least something with a very hard mineral. Aluminum oxide is softer than the vandium carbides in these steels.

We are going to do this in sanmai to save money and to make it easier to finish.

I still have a tiny ulcer on the bottom of my foot, which for the time being, is preventing me from being able to work. One of the problems with not being able to work is that I have time to dream up lots of new projects to try.

I have some new steels to try along with this one. I have a new western handle that I'll be doing and I want to do a copy of a Forgecraft.

Cheer me on, I'm tired of not being able to make knives.

Love and respect

Hoss

Being benched from work is incredibly frustrating.

Here's to a speedy recovery Hoss, and some kickarse new knives! All the best
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

I wouldn't call dreaming up new projects a "problem", but not being able to work on them? Yes, that's a problem. Hope that foot gets better soon.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    I wouldn't call dreaming up new projects a "problem", but not being able to work on them? Yes, that's a problem. Hope that foot gets better soon.

Rick
    +1 Get back on your feet soon!

stefan

Good timing with super wear resistant steels, hopefully you will get those knives out soon so folks can try their diamond plates on these.

Speedy full recovery and then pace yourself working.

M

PS: your aptitude to come up with new project is infectious.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Cheers to you Devin but what is up with all this Forgecraft talk lately? I'm slow, never heard of it before I started reading the Lamson knife thread. (Which I don't follow any more) Hate their handles BTW.

I like the profile of the blade and the simplicity of the knife. I remember the Old Hickory line from when I was a kid, which bought them out later. The heat treatment is good on these and the story is interesting.

I don't think that the handle is very comfortable. I do like the texture on the blade and I want to see if I can make one that is tapered and retain the texture. I will probably try one in damascus and change the handle shape.

Thanks everybody,

Hoss

Interested in your take, hoss
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Please rest up and I hope for a quick recovery. You definitely have a lot of interesting projects underway, really can't wait to see what you do. Super interesting/pioneering stuff.