Hawaiian Mystery Wood

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
A guy who I get Hawaiian woods from sometimes sent me an unusual piece of wood today.
It was a chunk that had been split off of a log with the cut parts showing burn marks from the blade.
The piece was no bigger than 7" x 4" x 5" and felt like I was holding a rock.
The split surfaces were like a washboard so I knew there was something good inside.
In the end I was able to get one small and one normal sized block.

hw001_zpsfc2f8feb.jpg

The block on the scale is about 6&1/2" x 1&5/8" x 1&1/8"

hw003_zps77992b6b.jpg

I don't know what kind of wood this is.
Cutting the wood was tougher than cutting ironwood. It had a spicy smell when I was cutting. Kind of like Ringed Gidgee.
What do you all think? Should I try to get more of this?
and.....does anyone know what it is?
I left a message on voice mail and am waiting to hear back so I can ask the guy who sent it to me.

Looks nice, but I can also only guess. What about mesquite (kiawe oit here in Hawaii)? I have that seen very dense with a little bit of curl, although not quite like yours.

Stefan

Never seen that before. Looks like a cross between koa and satinwood.

The guy in Hawaii wrote back and said he thinks he can get more for me, but neglected to tell me what it is.
Until then I am keeping this for myself. The figure has a lot of movement and it looks like the wood will finish well. This piece is sanded to 150 grit and sprayed with lacquer.

The biggest drawback, it eats band saw blades.

I think I need to go to Hawaii and spend a few months with the tree service guys.
Who knows what I would find.

Looks nice, but I can also only guess. What about mesquite (kiawe oit here in Hawaii)? I have that seen very dense with a little bit of curl, although not quite like yours.
Stefan
Someone gave me a few chunks of the kiawe before and the grain structure was similar but the color was more red than amber like this.
But, like most woods there can be a lot of variations. So right now I can only guess.

Stefan was correct.
The wood is Kiawe.
I was told it is Hawaii's version of mesquite. Most gets cut up to use for smoking meat.
My guy in Hawaii told me he doesn't cut this type of wood but he got this piece from a friend who does.
When he saw the curl on the exterior he thought I would like it.
Now he is going to keep his eyes open and also have his friend look for the really curly stump pieces.

Back