Quantcast
Sharpening scissors
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharpening scissors

Sharpening scissors

My wife sews alot and was complaining about her scissors, so she wants me to sharpen them. Is there anything to know as far as sharpening them go, and how high of a grit should I take them?

Thanks
    Jared

I find scissors are kind of like straight razors in my limited experience--the more polish, the better. But you gotta make sure the finish is very even, especially for fabric, so that it cuts the same at all points in the scissors.

keep the existing bevel and you can't really go wrong. i find that an aoto edge works great for fabric. i've turned some old carbon steel scissors i found at work into some really killer snippers just by keeping the existing bevel. if you take enough material off, you have to deal with modifying them to keep the flats in contact properly, but you probably won't have to deal with that for a good long while.

The important thing to remember is to never touch the long side, just the edge.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

And don't touch the inside

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    a lot of scissors are concave on the inside, so you'll have to eventually, if you take enough material off, over time. i have no idea how good scissors are tempered, though, so perhaps you just throw them away before they hit that point?

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    That is what I meant, just badly phrased!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I sent a message to Dave a few weeks ago about sharpening shears. My g/f is a dog groomer and has some shears that cost as much as my knives. He said the german single bevel kind were possible but leave the concave ones alone. After trying to sharpen a crappy pair of germans and making a convex edge on it, I'm going with Dave on this one. If some of you guys are having better success, congrats.

Concave scissors are no joke to sharpen. Luckily those are almost all hair shears

Just so you know I wouldn't bother to even try. Send them to Dave he does them better then he does knives. He loves the girls at the hair salons .