Quantcast
(Non-Knife) Food Favorites
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Non-Knife) Food Favorites

(Non-Knife) Food Favorites

There is a lot of stuff one can cook without using a knife, but I think my favorite is making butter. Creating basic ingredients is just so satisfying. I also like bread, and when I get really motivated I will make my own bread and butter at the same time for the holidays. Doing that amazes people.

Perfectly cooked eggs (hard, scrambled, poached, and sunny) are a close second.

Next on my list for this summer are clarified butter, fresh pasta, and tortillas.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

+1 on homemade butter

-AJ

+1 on the bread here.. I also really enjoy making meringue cookies and different sweets with egg white foams

Interesting. Thats's also on my list for this summer: Canning some tuna, making stock for the freezer, making lemon/lime curd. I like baking my own bread, but having a French bakery across the street has made me a bit lazy...

About the butter: I know how my grandma made it, but how do you guys make butter? Oh, and that sounds like Mike may have an idea what to do with all the egg whites after making lemon curd?

Stefan

I make butter in a very simple and weird way.

I buy some cream, let it go at least a week past expiration in the fridge, then open the container and let it sit another week or so in the fridge. Once I feel it is going sour (cultured), then I take it out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for several hours. I taste it. Yep, I taste it. If it isn't sour enough, then I let it sit out over night and taste it again. Some ultra-pastuerized cream can literally sit out for days without going sour. That is kind of scary.

(FYI, right now I have three containers of cream in varying states of decay in the fridge.)

After that I just put the soured cream in a mason jar and shake away until I have butter fat separation. Letting the milk go sour gives a nice tang to the butter (like in the old days). Once the butter fat and butter milk have been separated, drain it out (shaking and draining a few times), and then put it in a bowl and work it with a wooden spoon, making sure to drain the remnant buttermilk out several times. If you don't do this, it will spoil quicker.

The last step is adding flavor. I usually just lightly salt it (kosher or cheese making salt) and mix it in. Sometimes I add herbs or fresh ground pepper.

I also have a vintage wooden butter mold that I use for the leftovers. I form what's left into cakes, freeze it, then wrap in wax paper for later.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Mr. Dinky, thank you I will be trying that soon!

I'm a big fan of the homemade bread too, although in my case it's made by my girlfriend, so not only do I not have to use a knife, I don't have to do anything at all!

My favorite non-knife-needing foods to make are probably pickled jalapeños and chocolate chip cookies. Like bread, there's simlpy no comparing a store-bought cookie to one you make yourself!

I just over whip my cream, salt and press.

i sometimes add a little lemon for that tang, but i go about it pretty much the same way salty does

I like doing my own ketchup and mustard.

+ Reply to Thread