Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help settle an argument

Help settle an argument

I attended an event over the weekend, the main course was billed as "Lamb Loin". I know the chef and he asked for some constructive criticism.

I got over the part about it being rack of lamb rather than loin but having a hard time getting past the silverskin that remained on the rack. As I cut around the silverskin I realized I was ruining the presentation so I snapped a quick pic. I later suggested it should have been trimmed better and had he done the loin this would have been an easy task. Like many that ask for criticism he argued with it and insisted that the serving was "how it was done".

What say you? Is this amount of silverskin normal or acceptable? If no, how would you trim it? (This was a $60/plate)

Thanks,

DB

Dave
    Older and wider.

I am not a pro chef, however I love rack of lamb and make a really good one and don't leave that much silverskin on.

Dave, I'm just a home cook, but I would have been ashamed to serve that to guests. Yes, the silverskin needs to be trimmed.

Rick
    All cats are libertarians. Completely dependent on others, but fully convinced of their own independence.

Knificus Maximus
    It's funny, when I was catering we cleaned the HELL out of our lamb racks. None of the fat cap, like really, truly Frenched......definitely no silverskin at all.
    When I went back to fine dining, the lamb racks were just cut out of the cryovac prior to service.....no cleaning at all. I disagree with this approach, but it wasn't my call to make.
    Looks to me like that lamb coulda benefited from another minute of cook time as well.....
    IMHO
    "With great knives comes great responsibility."
    -SpiderMan

Thanks all. Pls keep the comments coming.

@Chris - Yes, With 10 racks in 1 oven the doneness was all over the place. I think it's a good candidate for SV prior, sear before service or at least spread out across a couple ovens. I think we agreed on that part.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

hate hate hate silverskin! i always remove when ever possible. he was either lazy or just didn't have time.

Knificus Maximus
    So I'm doing a little thinking about this and there could be a good reason to keep the lamb less cleaned......if you leave all the extra bits on, I makes it possible to get a reeeeeeealy nice sear(in a pan only) medium heat will render off most of that fatty goodness, leaving a delicious crust behind. There's a nice tender up in there wrapped in sinew!
    The rack is still delicious without it, but the meat can dry out faster and you miss out on extra flavor. The downside is the pesky, kinda gross silverskin.
    My old chef's argument was that "people that really like lamb don't mind, they're used to it"
    I call BS on that, but like I said....not my call.

When catering we saved all those tasty bits and ground them up for Lambburgers or meatballs.
    "With great knives comes great responsibility."
    -SpiderMan

I don't trim the little New Zealand racks much at all. But the bigger domestic ones I clean more. Just who I learned from when I was young

I wouldn't plate that. I wouldn't eat that.
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. - Lawrence

There's nothing worse than chewy rack of lamb.... except overcooked rack of lamb. That should be removed.