210 Petty Users...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanusInTheGarden

Reaction score
To the folks who have taken up the 210 petty suji as your line knife,

What are your thoughts on using the long petty/short suji as your service knife? Do you ever wish you had the height of a chef's knife? Are you concerned about sharpening up the blade too quickly?

About to pull the trigger on one and I was hoping to get your thoughts. Thanks so much!

well, i enjoy them alot. but for the line its primary function is to slice. if you feel youre going to need to chop stuff during service, you might want to consider a santuko or gyuto. i cant use a knife that short to chop/push cut with, it just doesnt feel right. but for service, you should get by just fine slicing what you need cut generally. i suppose.
what petty/suji you looking at?

I love mine. Mostly for slicing, but I push cut by pinching the blade with the tips of my fingers at the balance point. That said the knife needs to be pretty fiendishly sharp for that to work. It's also great for boneless meat trimming. Mine's a Gesshin Ginga.

Jon Broida used to use a 210 petty / suji as a line knife and he said it worked quite well for him.

might also consider a gyuto-hiki for this role.

I got a heiji 210 (not the gesshin) it is a little taller than most 210 petty/suji. It is the only knife I use at work for basically everything (but crusty bread). Literally every other knife just sits in my bag except my paring knife which shows up every now and then.

a nicely priced 210 petty / suji would be the hiromoto in ginsangko 210mm =D

I'm a home cook but kitchen knifes have been one of my hobbies for 20 years. A couple years ago I got a Suisin Inox Honyaki Wa-Petty 210mm. I'ts a true laser (mine weighs 67 grams). Great for skinning fish fillets and other petty tasks. Takes a wicked edge and, with occasional stropping, it will stay wicked for a reasonable time. The blade is so thin that sharpening is very easy. A little pricey but I think the value is good.

I use a 210 petty on line sometimes (suisin inox) and it's a great slicer and I can't get by for certain tasks by keeping my hand back from the board so clearance isn't an issue. I usually have a western deba and a nakira tucked away close by should the need arise. I think a 180/210 gyuto would be a more versatile line knife though.

Has anyone noticed that they're sharpening through the already limited height within, say, 2 years?

I've had a 210 suji for a year and I doubt I'd notice any difference if I had a photo from new and compared it to now

I want that knife! Actually I want a lot of knives lol

Back