Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tip your server and save the world....

Tip your server and save the world....

http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/14...save-the-world

I've never worked in a restaurant, but I do work in a service industry...I definitely sympathize with these folks...well, the good ones anyway (which is most of them).
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I've never worked in a restaurant, but I do work in a service industry...I definitely sympathize with these folks...well, the good ones anyway (which is most of them).
    worked in a service related industry for over 3 years (tech and sales, and cars and sales) and then decided to study culinary arts. i understand the position of wanting to have to tip. but being in the back of the house and seeing what goes on with servers..... us peeps in the back of the house have the short end of the stick.

we don't get as much "appreciation" as much the people that they see. they only see the servers, and sometimes the effort from the people that actually cooked for them gets nothing. praises are well and good, but nothing speaks louder than a tip from a guest that patronizes your food specially when you need to pay the bills and depend on things like that.

sorry had to vent.

I see the point, but what surprises me most is that people seem to be outraged about customers not tipping when they - IMHO - should be outraged about the servers getting f$&@ed with rates below minimum wage.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    worked in a service related industry for over 3 years (tech and sales, and cars and sales) and then decided to study culinary arts. i understand the position of wanting to have to tip. but being in the back of the house and seeing what goes on with servers..... us peeps in the back of the house have the short end of the stick.

we don't get as much "appreciation" as much the people that they see. they only see the servers, and sometimes the effort from the people that actually cooked for them gets nothing. praises are well and good, but nothing speaks louder than a tip from a guest that patronizes your food specially when you need to pay the bills and depend on things like that.

sorry had to vent.
    I am also very sympathetic to this POV. We have a couple of restaurants locally that have a tip jar for take-out...it goes directly to the kitchen staff on duty. about 90% of my visits to these places is to-go so that I can show some love for the dudes in the heat. I'm not sure what I can do beyond that, except be sympathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I see the point, but what surprises me most is that people seem to be outraged about customers not tipping when they - IMHO - should be outraged about the servers getting f$&@ed with rates below minimum wage.

Stefan
    I'm not sure how to respond to this as I'm conflicted on the topic and any depth of response is likely to violate the forum rules regarding politics at some point.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I am also very sympathetic to this POV. We have a couple of restaurants locally that have a tip jar for take-out...it goes directly to the kitchen staff on duty. about 90% of my visits to these places is to-go so that I can show some love for the dudes in the heat. I'm not sure what I can do beyond that, except be sympathetic.
    thank you for that.

it just sucks that you get the same pay as the waiters and don't get as much tips as they do. since some of them like to pocket some of the tips and share only what they want to the kitchen staff. we work our butts off more than they do and they get all the glory and all the tips. we get all the heat and blame us for mistakes that they do when they send out wrong orders. either you have to get along with them or you don't get squat.

ok i shut up about the divide with the front and the back of the house now.

Completely agree - eating in a nice place with good service is nice, but more important is the food and the people making it. The emphasis on tipping servers in some countries shifts focus to the wrong thing, the style of the restaurant, the charm of the servers, etc, instead of the food and the hard work making it. You work in this environment in a kitchen and the feeling is that you are at the bottom, not the centre like it should be, even though you know you work the hardest.

Alternatively, people working in restaurants could stand up for them selves and join or form a union, thereby assuring they're paid fairly for their labor, rather than depending upon the kindness of strangers . .

Oy, Restaurant food costs enough without waiters getting 4 weeks paid vacation.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

As a patron, I don't know what I can do about the kitchen staff problem. I tip 15% for poor service, and 20-25% for good service. Sometimes considerably more for great service. But my complaint is with places that pool tips. If you can't give a nice tip to your server without it being spread to all the servers -- good or bad -- the service tends to become mediocre. A good server doesn't get the benefit of being better. I sometimes tip 15% on the bill and slip my server a five or ten for excellent service, more in a more expensive restaurant, but that can be risky for the server.

If there was some way to reward the kitchen staff separately, I would do it.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

you can always tell the maitre d' that the tip that was given should only be given to said server.