Quantcast
Crazy burr on new Tojiro bread knife - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy burr on new Tojiro bread knife

As a Mac fan and former owner of several Mac breads, I will say my Tojiro is at least comparable. The price difference makes it a winner...mine also had no flaws.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

My Tojiro had no flaws. I use dowels and emery paper to sharpen it, most of the time. will it eventually change the scallops? sure. will it take a long, long time? yes. will i likely have bought a new bread knife long before that happened? never say never.

I have one from the first batch, it didn't have a burr straight from the factory. It does however like to hold on to the burr once formed when sharpening. A couple of kids at work just bought some because they loved mine so much. Theirs had significant burrs straight out of the box. I used a ceramic rod, strop and a bunch of corks and cleaned up their edges for them.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by kartman35 View Post
    It seems to me that that technique while perfect for pointy serrated knives, might sort of turn our nicely scalloped edges into pointy serrations...

Note that the knife Dave is sharpening is not the same as the scalloped Tojiro or Mac Superior...His before pictures have teeth that have been rounded from use and his after photos shows them nice and pointy, like most other bread knives.

In fact, in post 13 of the same thread Dave says using the corner of a stone works well for our scallops.
    A corner of a stone would work fine, but so does a cylinder or oval (I used the edge of my oval steel wrapped in sand paper). If you just think about what you're doing, the difference between sharpening the scallops and the "pointy" serrations is that you're TRYING to round off the bumps on the tojiro. You sharpen the "valleys" the same way and then just follow over the curve of the bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    ..If only I could find a Gude...
    Took me a few years, but I got one. It's indescribably awesome, but it's meant for fighting though really crusty stuff (think saw/ bread deba). The tojiro actually cuts 95% of baked stuff much better and more cleanly. They are really 2 different types of knives.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Stinks you got that out of the box!

Does anyone have a video showing a good way to sharpen this knife using the corner of a stone? I slice about 15-20 hard crusty loaves every day now and my knife has been taking a beating.

No video that I know of but I think Dave posted a tutorial thread with pictures somewhere.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    No video that I know of but I think Dave posted a tutorial thread with pictures somewhere.
    That'd be good to find. Mine had a hellacious burr out of the box, and I haven't done anything about it yet other than sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    Does anyone have a video showing a good way to sharpen this knife using the corner of a stone? I slice about 15-20 hard crusty loaves every day now and my knife has been taking a beating.
    Watch the last video on this page: Oh Hell No this link ain't working.com

It's kind of long, as it's a review of the stone, but the last part of it is a tutorial on sharpening the Tujiro ITK bread knife.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    wow the censer didn't get that one. Or am I just a little fast today?
    Chewie's the man.

+ Reply to Thread